Senior Risk Manager
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Professional Risk Management
Senior Risk Manager
Position # 00213811 - Requisition 10157
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Professional Risk Management has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Risk Manager.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside
This position exists to promote the goals of the Professional Risk Management Program for the insured entities of the University of Colorado Self-Insurance and Risk Management Trust.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Investigation of Notices of Claim, lawsuits and licensing board complaints or other threats of legal or regulatory action. Prepares appropriate responses.
- Reviews and investigates clinical patient care occurrences and determine risk potential. Identifies trends and similarities among multiple occurrences and recommends course of action.
- Responsible for analyzing clinical care, collaborating with medical staff and other members of the health care team to complete the necessary investigation of events and legal cases. Recommends steps for action to mitigate legal exposure to the University.
- Review of patient occurrences and preparation of a root cause analysis of those occurances that meet the Joint Commission Sentinel Event criteria.
- Coordinate peer and quality reviews on cases with determined to have quality and management concerns and/or threat of litigation.
- Liaison between patients, lawyers, and University Counsel and independently negotiates settlements and resolutions, which may have significant legal and/or monetary implications for the parties involved.
- Develops and presents educational programs to raise staff awareness of legal concepts related to specific clinical areas.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $84,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in nursing or other health care related field with three years of management or leadership experience.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility for the assessment and development of strategies to mitigate legal exposure to the insured entities. This individual must be able to work effectively, collaboratively and in a professional manner with University and Hospital leadership, faculty, all levels of health care providers, staff, patients, state and federal regulatory agencies and legal counsel.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing with 5 year's experience in management or leadership in a health care related field.
- Master's degree may be considered in lieu of management or leadership experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Superior skills in establishing work priorities, providing follow through and meeting established guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present high level information in a concise and comprehensive manner to all levels of understanding. This includes presenting risk management and professional malpractice information to medical, nursing, and other professional staff.
- Ability to read, interpret and draw accurate conclusions from both legal and factual information.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Melissa Lowrey at Melissa.Lowrey@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by July 16, 2017. Those who do not apply by July 16, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 20611 - ADM-VCHA Self Risk
Posting Date: Jul 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Melissa Lowrey
Posting Contact Email: Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00218311