JOB NO.: 91340-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: UNIVERSITY MARKETING
Categories: Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, Marketing, Public Relations, Web Design/Development, Other
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91340-AS
Working Title: Web Developer
Official Title: SR INFORM PROC CONSLT(S44BN) or INFORM PROCESS CONSLT(S44DN)
Hiring Department: A022460-GENERAL SERVICES/VC FOR UNIV RELATIONS/UNIVERSITY MARKETING
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 18, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $48,333 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Graduate of accredited four-year college
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Minimum 1 year experience developing web applications with Rails and/or PHP application frameworks.
* Experience with SQL and relational databases, in general.
* Experience with Git and collaborative code management and development.
* Familiarity with CSS and semantic HTML.
* Ability to work independently and produce high quality software for customers in a timely manner.
* Demonstrated desire to learn new things.
* Experience with custom Wordpress theme and plugin development.
* Flexibility in development frameworks, languages, and other tools.
* Basic understanding of linux and the command line, especially as it relates to managing local dev environments.
* Experience automating web development workflows and deployments is a plus. For example, we use Capistrano, Jenkins, and npm.
* Experience configuring and administering Apache, MySQL/PostgreSQL, and other web-server technologies (e.g. memcached, Varnish), a plus.
University Marketing creates and manages websites and applications that serve the entire UW?Madison campus. www.wisc.edu, today.wisc.edu, the campus map, UW Wordpress themes, and the campus alerts system are a few of the web properties in our portfolio. We work primarily with open source platforms and tools in an environment where we have the flexibility and opportunity to innovate and create. We are constantly learning while we work as part of a team to design, build, and deploy custom applications, in fact the nature of our work requires this passion for learning.
The web developer position requires organization, flexibility and a sense of humor. You will collaborate with front-end designers and developers, assure app quality and reliability by writing unit and integration tests, and suggest new processes and efficiencies for the way we work. You should have a strong understanding of object-oriented design and programming and the ability to use that knowledge to create innovative and secure websites and applications. This position reports to the Web Director and requires a team player with an ability to function effectively in the highly complex and decentralized environment of UW-Madison.
To see the full position description, click on "Full Position Details" below under Additional Link.
Visit the University Marketing site: https://umark.wisc.edu/
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button (jobs.wisc.edu, PVL 91340) to start the application process. Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter outlining relevant qualifications and experience. PDF preferred, but not required. Pay will be based on experience and qualifications.
Please note that University Marketing is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Application materials may be reviewed prior to the deadline. In order to update your materials, please notify the contact listed in the job posting.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 05 Jul 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 2 Aug 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time