Art Technician I
Art Technician I
Art Technician I
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD) at the University of North Texas (UNT) is one of the nation's most comprehensive visual arts schools at a public university, offering 30 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and concentrations in areas ranging from art history to communication design to new media. The college includes several institutes and centers, as well as art galleries to showcase student and professional work. CVAD offers the first and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas and a MFA program ranked 23rd nationally among public universities. CVAD is home to some of the highest rated art and design programs in the southern United States.
The College of Visual Arts & Design Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Art Technician I to join our team.
The College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD) Digital Fabrication Lab (FabLab) provides equipment, computers and software resources to undergraduate and graduate students studying in the various CVAD departments and programs so that they can complete their classwork and develop their skills as artists.
In addition to supporting the patrons of the lab, primarily CVAD students, this position will be required to maintain and support the fabrication equipment, computers, printers and other devices in the CVAD Digital Fabrication Lab. The equipment includes a variety of 3D Printers, Laser Cutters, CNC Routers and a Plasma Cutter.
The position will be in charge of maintaining compliance with all UNT environmental, health, and safety policies and regulations associated with the FabLab. Environmental aspects would be associated with any waste generated, air emissions (outdoor), or anything that could affect water quality. Health and safety would largely include indoor air quality, laser safety, and occupational safety. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Ensure and maintain documentation of compliance with University and state and federal regulatory policies including but not limited to safety.
* Perform maintenance, repairs and updates on FabLab equipment and the FabLab space.
* Troubleshoot equipment/hardware/software problems.
* Supervise one or more student workers.
* Maintain schedule for the FabLab equipment online.
* Work with users on their projects using the equipment in the Fabrication Lab.
* Other duties will be assigned as needed.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's Degree and two years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience with Epilog and/or Boss Laser Cutters, Filament and Resin 3D Printers, Shopbot CNC Routers, and Torchmate Plasma Cutters. Experience with similar equipment and brands acceptable as well.
* Software: Adobe Creative Cloud, Autodesk 360, Rhino, Sculptris, ZBrush, Netfab and/or other 3D modelling software is preferred.
* Knowledge and experience with computers (PCs and Macs, preferably).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting