Assistant Director of Graduate Fellowships and Student Support
Posting Number NC796P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21313
Working Title Assistant Director of Graduate Fellowships and Student Support
Position Number 9091
Department Graduate Recruitment
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The Graduate School and International Education oversees all matters related to the education of graduate and international students. We assist the University of Arkansas in excelling at research, teaching, training and service. We foster student and scholar success and enhance the overall student academic experience.
The Graduate School at the University of Arkansas has a reputation for producing some of the most influential leaders and researchers of our time. Our students work with experts in their fields who are striving to answer today's most challenging questions. They are at the forefront of discovery and are committed to enriching the global community.
Our students ask tough questions, drive innovation, break barriers, explore every angle and solve complex problems. Our students lead change, and we want you to be a part of it. Explore which of our 130 graduate programs will help you shape the future.
Department Home Page https://graduate-and-international.uark.edu/
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Assistant Director of Graduate Fellowships and Student Support will assist in providing student support to aid in the recruitment, retention, and professional development of graduate students at the University of Arkansas. Activities may include researching professional development needs on campus and the resources required to meet those needs, performing outreach activities within the university community and with external partners across the country, and marketing and delivering professional development to student groups. Part of student support includes financial support. The person in this position will be expected to learn about the current financial support offered through the Graduate School and International Education, and to assist in identifying and informing graduate students of additional funding opportunities.
This position will evolve to meet the changing needs of students and to meet the mission of the Graduate School and International Education. Travel (by air, auto, etc.) is a required component of the position, as is the ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Regular, reliable and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution
- Experience in program development and implementation
- Experience working with various constituent groups
- Experience working with CRM (customer relationship management) software, such as Salesforce/Pardot, etc.
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Experience preparing print and electronic communications for event promotion, marketing, or similar needs, including designing and writing content of materials
- Experience with special events, such as on-campus conferences, including logistical arrangements (venue, catering, agenda, travel arrangements for guests, etc.)
- Use of electronic delivery system for learning, such as Blackboard
- Some knowledge/experience of web site maintenance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Demonstrated proficient skills in written and oral communications
- Possess advanced verbal and written communication skills and be able to confidently represent the university in a professional manner
- Possess a high degree of professional flexibility with a demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently
- Skill in speaking to others to convey information effectively
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
- Skill and proficiency in using Microsoft Office suites is required
- Ability to positively engage with a wide variety of constituent groups
- Ability to be comfortable with some ambiguity between departments, processes, and policies will be helpful for successful acclimation into the position
- Ability to be creative and energetic with a high level of initiative
- Ability to work with diverse groups, multi-task and have a true commitment to teamwork
- Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations with professional composure
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships
Physical activities associated with this position
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (schedule may vary based on department needs/recruitment schedule to include occasional nights and/or weekends)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - G. David Gearhart Hall
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Salary $42,000 - $45,000
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? Yes
Does this position require a background check? No
If yes, please specify
- MVR (Motor Vehicle Registry) check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment MVR check. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 07/19/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Specific questions may be emailed to Vicky Hartwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Arkansas Human Resources
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Review of applications will begin after close date. To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, two letters of recommendation, and a writing sample.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you hold a master's degree from an accredited institution?
- * Please describe your previous experience with CRM software, including Salesforce, Hobsons, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate your years of experience coordinating special events or promotions or a related area.
- No experience
- Less than one year
- At least one year, but less than two
- At least two years, but less than three
- At least three years, but less than four
- At least four years, but less than five
- Five years or more
- * Please describe your non-student and/or student usage of Blackboard.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience with University of Arkansas at Fayetteville policies and procedures, including experience with preparing reports, coordinating travel arrangements, performing BASIS transactions, scheduling administrative meetings, coordinating catering, room reservations, etc., and supervising administrative support staff? Please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have knowledge of the University of Arkansas Fayetteville Campus building locations?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (1)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (2)
- Writing Sample(s)
- Proof of Veterans Status