Student Development Specialist
Posting Number NC795P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21307
Working Title Student Development Specialist
Position Number 7122
Department Student Support Services
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
Student Support Services (SSS) has been on the University of Arkansas campus for over 40 years. The program provides academic/personal counseling, financial literacy, career/graduate school preparation and cultural enrichment activities to first-generation, low-income, and/or individuals with disabilities. The mission of Student Support Services is to provide comprehensive academic support services that increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible participants and fosters a supportive institutional environment.
Department Home Page
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Student Development Specialist/Retention Coordinator (RTN) job responsibilities will include the assurance of successful performance, retention, and graduation of a designated caseload of participants through academic, financial, personal, and career/graduate school counseling. This position will also implement effective interventions strategies that help participants with building self-esteem, management of life roles, goal setting, and developing relationships with UA peers, faculty, and staff. Other job responsibilities for this position will include monitoring academic progress, assisting participants with securing adequate financial aid, assessment/data analysis, entering data into SSS database, and maintaining an appropriate work schedule to accommodate participants. As RTN, this position will be responsible for coordinating group study sessions, academic enrichment activities, and tutoring resources.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Master's degree in higher education, adult education, counseling, or a related area
- Experience working with low-income, first-generation college students, and/or students with disabilities
- At least two years of experience working in higher education environment in areas such as academic counseling, student services, student affairs, or related experience
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Experience working in a TRIO program
- Experience in academic advising and retention
- Experience in developing programming aimed at student success
- Experience supervising/developing support staff
- Experience working with diverse student populations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of the organization and administration of various higher education academic and social programs
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations
- Knowledge of department operations, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of computers and software applications
- Excellent oral, written, and web based communication skills
- Evidence of organizational skills, including the ability to design new program activities
- Skills and ability to utilize technology and experience working in a team oriented environment
- Ability to coordinate social and/or culturally enriching programs
- Ability to evaluate collected information and compile into report form
- Ability to be dependable and reliable
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Administration Building
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background and sex offender registry check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 07/28/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date 09/04/2017
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Ms. Jerrica Burns
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master's degree in higher education, adult education, counseling, or a related area?
- * Do you have experience working with low-income, first-generation college students, and/or students with disabilities?
- * Do you have at least two years experience working in higher education (preferably support service programs)?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s) cont.
- Proof of Veterans Status