Dean of Instruction, Sylvania Campus
Dean of Instruction, Sylvania Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09103
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Management; Level O; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary Range is $96,659 to the range mid-point of $118,408. Placement generally will not exceed this mid-point and is determined based on qualifications, experience and internal equity
Job Close Date: Apply by September 1, 2017 for best consideration
Portland Community College's Sylvania Campus is looking for a Dean of Instruction.
The official responsibilities of the Dean of Instruction are to provide overall responsibility and accountability for leadership in long-range planning, program development, problem solving and faculty/staff development in Instruction at PCC's Sylvania Campus.
A central responsibility of the Dean of Instruction role at PCC-Sylvania is to bring a focus on equitable student success as it relates to instruction and campus climate to this rich, culturally diverse, and newly comprehensive campus. Important aspects of the job include program growth and development in both lower division transfer and career and technical programs, deepening connections and partnerships with community and K-12, and promoting intercultural competency in teaching and learning.
Initiating and managing student success efforts, meeting with innovative deans and faculty, engaging with feeder high schools, attending multicultural campus and community events, and collaborating across the District during a time of exciting change at the college are all in a day's work for this Dean of Instruction.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, please apply today!
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
- Job Announcement Published: June 30, 2017
- Deadline for Preferred Applications: September 1, 2017
- Semi-finalist Interviews: Week of October, 2017
- Finalist On-Campus Interviews & Forums: November, 2017
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises managers, division faculty, academic professionals, classified staff, technical/support, and/or student staff. Evaluates and oversees the development of professional development plans and goals for assigned areas of responsibility in accordance with good management practices, District policies, and collective bargaining agreements. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
- Provides primary leadership in guiding, planning, implementing, evaluating, and modifying programs, processes, and operations related to assigned areas of responsibility; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines. Plans, implements, administers, and evaluates related programs, projects, and services impacting the college.
- Establishes, monitors, evaluates, and modifies processes, procedures, and/or standards, ensuring alignment with the College's mission, values, goals, and objectives, as well as all local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Monitors programs to ensure compliance with applicable accrediting bodies.
- Serves as a liaison to applicable external agencies and industries, community partners, the general public, internal departments, and applicable educational institutions representing the College with respect to academic and/or student service programs, processes, and procedures.
- Participates on various committees, including a variety of leadership groups and teams.
- Provides leadership in problem-solving and promoting operational systems improvement.
- Develops, implements, and directs the expansion of programs in support of District goals and objectives.
- Leads the development and management of budgets in assigned areas of responsibility; strategizes, anticipates, and secures resources for programs and operational improvements.
- Advises and responds to questions from College departments and external agencies regarding complex issues or policies impacting assigned programs and services. Investigates, addresses and resolves problems, grievances, and complaints related to conduct issues of faculty and/or students.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
- Providing leadership in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of instructional programs for the College.
- Providing leadership to the oversight of District curriculum and delivery, including the implementation of systems improvements in educational programs and instructional delivery systems.
- Providing leadership for facilities projects, including bond planning, implementation, and coordination, as well as planning for capital construction needs, special program projects, and classroom and office improvements.
- Overseeing and participating in the recruiting, selection and evaluation of instructors.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution
- Eight (8) years of progressively responsible college administration experience in student services, enrollment, or instruction.
Important Knowledge and Skills
- Leadership and managerial principles;
- Budgeting principles and practices;
- Contract management principles and practices;
- Accreditation standards;
- Conflict mediation principles and practices;
- Public relations principles;
- Strategic management principles and practices;
- Program management and development principles;
- Higher education principles and practices.
- Directing and providing leadership to subordinate staff;
- Providing strategic leadership;
- Planning, implementing, improving, and evaluating broad-based programs, policies, and procedures;
- Directing the development and management of budgets;
- Assisting in the administration of campus operations;
- Evaluating assigned programmatic area for compliance with applicable regulations and accreditation requirements;
- Speaking in public;
- Evaluating research to identify potential solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
- Mediating conflict;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Resonant and appreciative leadership style.
- Experience as an innovative leader in a growing and changing environment.
- Experience promoting and supporting diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education campus environments, operations, and academic approaches; awareness of the barriers that first-generation and historically-underserved populations face in institutions of higher education.
- Experience supervising deans and other administrators who have direct reports.
(Position manages 8 deans who oversee all academic departments)
- Experience with budget, enrollment management, student retention efforts, and making data-driven decisions.
(Position responsible for enrollment management of approximately 10,000 SFTE and 27,000+ headcount)
- Experience managing division/departments in a complex organization where collaboration and positive relationships are essential; experience in a multi-campus college an asset.
- Experience in higher education program management including career technical education (CTE), college transfer, general education, developmental education, Adult Basic Skills and alternative high school programs.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining effective communication with faculty, staff, students, and the community.
- Experience working collaboratively in a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience in developing successful partnerships with business and industry, community organizations, governmental agencies, and foundations.
Additional Posting Information:
Starting Salary Range is $96,659 to the range mid-point of $118,408. Placement generally will not exceed this mid-point and is determined based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Salary Range is $96,659 to $140,156.)
For additional salary information see:
To apply for this position please submit the following:
1. Completed online application
2. Current Resume (attach document)*
3. 1 page Introductory Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Statement addressing how you specifically meet the minimum and preferred qualifications listed for this position (attach as "Other Document" document-up to 5 pages)*.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.