Associate Vice President of Academic Programs
Associate Vice President of Academic Programs
Position Category: Executive
Utah Valley University invites applicants for the position of Associate Vice President of Academic Programs. UVU is an open-access, comprehensive, teaching-focused, public university of approximately 35,000 students in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah. The AVPAP must enthusiastically support the mission and core themes of the university and the opportunity to work with others to create the nation's best platform for student success.
The Associate Vice President is a vital member of the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs' team, overseeing such areas as the Offices of Teaching and Learning, Academic Quality Assurance, Completion, and Academic Programming. The AVPAP works closely with the SVPAA's team of AVPs; collaborates with AVPs in Student Affairs on issues of curriculum, scheduling, advising, retention, completion, graduation, and student success; and coordinates with faculty leaders in undergraduate curriculum and general education and graduate programs. The AVPAP also works in partnership with other stakeholders inside and outside UVU to help advance student success. When appropriate, the AVP represents the SVPAA in their absence on various committees or issues.
Candidates will have graduated from an accredited institution with a terminal degree in discipline, with three years or more teaching experience at the college/university level, and three or more years full-time successful experience in an academic leadership role at the level of department chair or higher. Candidates should be tenured or tenurable in a discipline offered at UVU.
Candidates must have work authorization in the United States upon hire and for the length of service in the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understand the scope and mission of comprehensive universities.
- Understand the current trends facing large public universities, including program/curricular developments and delivery.
- Knowledge of research-based best practices in teaching and course development.
- Understand, generally, campus and/or system policies and procedures regarding academic program planning and assessment, delivery methods, and student outcomes.
- Knowledge of best practices that support first generation students, non-traditional students, and students of diverse backgrounds in student success.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Build teams within Academic Affairs, with Student Affairs and other VP units where necessary.
- Inclusive and transparent decision-making with colleagues, reports, and supervisors.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, efficiently, with accountability in a team-oriented environment with various institutional units to plan, implement, and evaluate unit-relevant practices and procedures.
- Ability to motivate teams to be creative and solve difficult problems.
Preferred candidates will have direct experience with credit and non-credit program or curriculum development and assessment in a comprehensive university, online teaching, or strategic advising and scheduling based on data analytics.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: ST10817
Open Date: 06/30/2017
Review Start Date:
Close Date: 8/15/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant: UVU is committed to preparing all students and employees for success in an increasingly complex, diverse, and globalized society. We promote civility and respect for the dignity and potential of each individual. We seek to advance the understanding of diverse perspectives. We value and promote collegial relationships and mutual respect among students, faculty, and staff. We acknowledge and seek to address the needs of populations who are underrepresented and students with varying levels of academic preparation, even as we strive to provide access and support for all students and employees in ways that are culturally relevant and responsible. As such, UVU actively encourages applications from members of all groups underrepresented in higher education. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates who submit all required materials by August 15 will have fullest consideration. Applications should include a curriculum vitae, letter of application explaining how the candidate fits the position description, and the names and contact information of three references. References will not be contacted without the prior knowledge or approval of candidates. Start day for the position is no later than January 2, 2018.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/1531
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.