HR Specialist - Compensation & Benefits
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The HR Specialist - Compensation & Benefits position is responsible for administering compensation and benefits plans/programs. Ensures that the plans/programs are consistent with University policies and all applicable federal and state laws. Implements University compensation and benefits programs, policies, and procedures. Handles daily compensation and benefit operations in human resources department. Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5+ years Human Resources experience, with an emphasis in benefits administration and compensation.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Administers and maintains various group benefit programs (health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, wellness, 403(b), etc.).
- Serves as the primary contact for employee benefit inquiries.
- Assists employees with benefit claim issues, life event changes, and plan changes; ensures quick, equitable, and courteous resolutions.
- Maintains contact in person, and by phone or mail with hospitals, physicians, insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries.
- Administers the employee Wellness Program, monitors participation, and takes full ownership of event logistics, timetables, communications, and other deliverables; coordinates on-site workshops, flu shots, and other wellness related services.
- Administers the daily activities of the retirement plan.
- Oversees the open enrollment processes including the coordination and distribution of materials, facilitation of presentations, and arrangements of on-site representation by providers; ensures changes are made to all benefit materials, and ensures deadlines are met.
- Develops communication tools to enhance understanding of the University's benefits package; communicates important information using appropriate mediums such as newsletters, email, memos, and flyers; maintains and updates benefit summary document used in orientation and recruiting; interprets insurance carrier contracts.
- Ensures new employees enroll in the benefit plans in a timely manner.
- Drafts correspondence to employees, dependents, retirees, providers, and carriers; assists employees, dependents, and retirees in the completion of various benefit forms.
- Coordinates transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums, and plan administration, resolves conflicts with benefit providers for the purpose of verifying eligibility, conveying information, and processing claims.
- Ensures compliance with applicable government regulations and timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
- Processes enrollments, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, accident and death claims; oversees maintenance of employee benefits files, maintains group benefits database, reviews and balances payroll reports for accuracy of employee deductions.
- Coordinates day to day administration associated with the University's Employee Assistance Program.
- Maintains plan documents, summary plan descriptions, vendor agreements, and contract and other documents related to plan administration.
- Analyzes existing benefit policies and prevailing practices and evaluates available services, coverage, and options.
- Investigates new benefits programs and monitors regulatory compliance with benefit related state and federal laws, as well as provides analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefit programs.
- Support large scale compensation project entailing different components including, but not limited to: compensation philosophy, compensation structure (grades and ranges), job analysis and categorization.
- Field and answer questions regarding compensation structure and processes.
- Participate in salary surveys.
- Ensure job descriptions are maintained.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.