Associate Campus Pastor, Pastoral Care (Temporary, Part-time)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The Assistant Campus Pastor serves as a part-time pastoral shepherd and pastoral counselor for up to 29 hours per week. This is done in partnership with Campus Pastors to provide timely support and guidance for the undergraduate community desiring or needing spiritual formation. A high percentage of this time will be spent in already scheduled appointments with students who request a pastor, or have been recommend to one for prayer, theological questions, celebration, crises, sanctions, and many other reasons. Other time will be spent participating in larger spiritual formation initiatives.
- B. A. required. At least one year of M.A. in Theology/Ministry or Mdiv. work completed
- Coursework in pastoral counseling, and gender and ethnic diversity issues preferred
- Three - Five years of experience as a professional specifically in the area of pastoral ministry, with at least some training and experience in pastoral care and counseling
- Youth or college-age ministry experience preferred
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Available for pastoral counseling and spiritual guidance to undergraduate students
- Work with a spirit that is ready to listen and care for a wide range of students and scenarios
- Collaborate with Residence Life, University Counseling Center, Health Center, Student Center for Reconciliation and Diversity, CommUniversity, Orientation and Transitions, and any other offices that might help create better care for students
- Report in supervision regularly to the Executive Pastor according to protocol
- Track student care and progress using established office protocols
- Maintain interaction with students by appointments, and sustain a "presence" on campus when they are not in appointments by moving outside the office to look for casual opportunities to care
- Collaborate and help lead with Campus Pastors, faculty, staff, and administrators on any large scale crisis
- Communicate consistently with the Administrative Assistant for the Campus Pastors Office concerning schedule and follow up for students
- Attend bi-weekly Campus Pastoral Staff meetings and monthly Student Life in-service trainings
- Participate occasionally in chapel services and other campus events as requested by Campus Pastors
- Participate in various student life committees as requested by Campus Pastors
- Perform other responsibilities related to job description as assigned by supervisor
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.