Academic Advisor, College of Business
Academic Advisor, College of Business-Requisition # 17000000XS
This position will manage an assigned caseload of students to provide comprehensive academic advising for undergraduate business majors. The advisor will guide students in understanding their degree requirements to make informed decisions within their curriculum and graduate in a timely manner. Further, the advisor will assist current, new, transfer, and prospective students with course selection for their major within the nine business concentrations. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that business students are guided and educated on the department, college and university academic policies and procedures.
- Providing a substantive advising appointment as required for each student which includes positive, open-ended questions to allow students to explore their goals, interests, strengths, values and concerns.
- Meeting with their caseload students individually at a minimum of one time per semester and providing an individualized academic plan at each advising session.
- Educating students about curricular requirements, academic standards, and academic milestones related to an intended/chosen academic program.
- Encouraging students’ holistic engagement with the college experiences (academically, socially, culturally, and professionally).
- Counseling and coaching students in identifying and overcoming academic challenges by aiding in establishing realistic and attainable academic goals.
- Providing a proactive level of advising that is accurate and encompasses all areas of impact on students, to include areas such as financial aid, career services, progression of classes and opportunities for student success.
- Serving as a contact person, academic coach, and advocate for prospective students seeking a business degree at UTC.
- Providing a level of service that is responsive, timely, and accurate.
- Participating in orientations, recruiting, academic fairs, Advisors’ Council, and other activities as assigned.
- Collaborating with academic departments and various student support divisions to advocate and support students’ academic needs.
- Recognizing individual student needs and making appropriate referrals to other campus services and resources as needed.
Bachelor’s degree required. Work experience in a higher education setting working with students’ academic needs, providing advising services, and coordinating support services is required or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; ability to work effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels; attentiveness to detail; strong organization skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner; ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements; proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs. Experience in BANNER is a plus.
Applicants must submit applications electronically through the UTC Career Site by visiting:
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.