Lead Building Maintenance Mechanic 2017
Lead Building Maintenance Mechanic 2017
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://jobs.miracosta.edu
Discipline or Department: Facilities
Position Type: Staff/Classified
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary: Starting $5,710.08 per month
Working Hours: One regular, full-time, categorically-funded position, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a week period shall be compensated on an overtime basis. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials through MiraCosta College's online application system at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you are in the system, we strongly advise you to read the information on "How to Apply" and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application for classified employment on which you list all relevant experience.
2. Cover letter addressed to the "Screening and Interview Committee" specifically describing how you meet the minimum and desirable qualifications, representative duties, and knowledge and abilities as described in the job posting.
3. Current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
NOTE: Do not submit any additional documents as they will be removed.
NOTE: When you "APPLY FOR THIS POSTING," you will eventually be asked to answer the additional question(s) listed below. Your answers will appear toward the bottom of the application form.
- Do you have supervisory experience?
- If you answered "yes" to question 1, please list the jobs where you held supervisory positions, for how long you held that position and how many employees you supervised.
- Please list the computer software systems you have used as related to Building Maintenance, HVAC and Access Control.
- MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. Describe your own commitment to diversity and how you will meet the minimum qualifications of "sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of community college students."
The screening and interview committee will review application materials three to four weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 2) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; and 4) fingerprint clearance.
Individuals with qualified disabilities who need accommodation with any aspect of the application and/or interview process should contact Human Resources at 760.795.6854 at least five days prior to the closing date.
Retired STRS members are not eligible for these positions.
Basic Function and Other Details:
Under the direction of the Facilities Manager, assist in the operation of the maintenance department at the Oceanside Campus, San Elijo Campus and Community Learning Center. Train and provide work direction to all District maintenance and HVAC staff. Perform a variety of skilled general building and equipment maintenance work related to electrical, plumbing, HVAC contractor oversight, locksmithing, carpentry, and painting. Maintain facilities in a safe and secure condition. Maintain District lock, key security systems. Provide a variety of management and support services in the absence of the Facilities Manager.
(E = essential job function)
1. Assist in the operation of the District's Maintenance department at all three campuses. Assist the Facilities Manager in developing and implementing work assignments and work schedules. Serve as the Facilities Manager on a relief basis. Perform weekly inspections of facilities and note discrepancies. (E)
2. Provide daily work direction, training and guidance to Building Maintenance Mechanics, HVACR Mechanics, and Utility Workers; Oversee the HVAC and general preventative maintenance programs and inspections. Daily assign and audit HelpSTAR service requests for employees. (E)
3. Perform journey level repair, installation, and troubleshooting of all facility electrical systems including the installation of bus transfer switches, ballasts, relays, motors, transformers, controllers, conduit, and cables for dedicated line for equipment. (E)
4. Initiate and maintain preventative maintenance program for facilities' electrical systems including cleaning electrical contractors, bus bars, relays, and controllers; confer with and supervise the work of contractors and vendors performing contracted preventative maintenance services. (E)
5. Plan, program and maintain the District's electronic access control, integrated security system and BEST computerized lock and key system, including installation, repair or replacing locks, door closer, latches, hinges and related hardware. (E)
6. Install, maintain, diagnose, repair, or replace plumbing fixtures and flushing mechanisms, water faucets, valves, drinking fountains, fittings and gaskets; utilize appropriate tools to clean and clear clogged drains and obstructed sewer lines. (E)
7. Provide facilities' support of the campus fiber optic communication system including initial installation, coordination of subcontractor services, ongoing design modifications, and future system maintenance/support. (E)
8. Design, fabricate, install, and modify shelves, partitions, and counters; repair broken or damaged furniture components and metal fixtures; replace carpets, damaged floors, ceiling tiles, hand shades, bulletin boards, chalk boards, pictures and plaques. (E)
9. Inspect and repair roof leaks; clear gutter and downspout; install flashing, weather-stripping, gutters, downspout, and roof drains. (E)
10. Reset and program automatic lighting time clocks and energy management systems for heating and air conditioning systems. Perform journey level maintenance emergency repairs on various types of heating and ventilation equipment in the absence of the HVAC mechanical contractor and/or when emergencies occur; repair and test building fire alarms.
11. Maintain maintenance records and files related to vendors, locks, combinations, purchase requisitions, work orders, equipment maintenance work, pumps, motors and compressors; investigate sources of supply for best price and initiate purchase requisitions for necessary parts, tools, supplies, and equipment. (E)
12. Perform general painting; sand and repair walls, stucco, wall coverings; mix paints and apply wood finishes, stains, and sealers.
13. Maintain safe facilities; respond to water leaks, broken glass, gas leaks, fire and other hazards. Make major campus operation decisions, including emergency facility repair, in the event the Facilities Manager and Director of Facilities are absent at the same time. (E)
14. Perform related duties as required.
Type of Benefits:
Full benefit package which includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; other optional coverages; and membership in the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS).
1. Equivalent to graduation from high school AND
2. Two years of related work experience AND
2. Valid California driver license AND
3. Certified installer designer of future flex fiber optic for the MiraCosta Community College District, or certificate obtainable within six months of employment in position. Attend certified training classes for update of installation license.
NOTE: For work experience, one "year" is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
1. Previous supervisory experience overseeing general building trades. 2. Previous experience programming OnGuard Access controls and electronic locking system repair. 3. Previous experience repairing HVAC plumbing systems and programming HVAC controls.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Closing Date: 7-21-2017
First Screening Date:
Human Resources Contact Information:
email@example.com or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
The MiraCosta Community College District is one of California's 112 public community colleges. The district includes the communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Olivenhain, Leucadia, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, and parts of Carmel Valley.
MiraCosta offers associate degrees, university-transfer courses, career-and-technical education, certificate programs, basic-skills education, and lifelong-learning opportunities that strengthen the economic, cultural, social, and educational well-being of the communities it serves.
The district consists of three campus sites and a robust online education program. The Oceanside Campus, serving about 12,000 credit students, has been located since 1964 on a panoramic 121-acre hilltop site with views of the ocean and mountains. The San Elijo Campus is located in Cardiff, 17 miles south of Oceanside, on 48 acres below the bluffs overlooking the San Elijo Lagoon Reserve. The San Elijo Campus opened in September 1988, and now attracts about 3,000 credit students. The Community Learning Center in downtown Oceanside hosts about 4,000 students in the college's noncredit classes including English as a Second Language, the Adult High School Diploma Program, and other tuition-free, noncredit classes as well as some college credit classes.