Faculty of Practice #20180013FAC
Position Title: Faculty of Practice
Job Posting Number: 20180013FAC
Job Location: San Marcos
College of Education
LBJ Institute for STEM Education and Research
Position Description: The Education Specialist supports the mission and leadership of the NASA STEM Educator Professional Development Collaborative (EPDC) [www.txstate-epdc.net] primarily by delivering professional development programs in their respective service area to K-20 in-service and pre-service teachers as well as to educators in informal settings. In addition, Education Specialists support their NASA field center education office by providing programs and delivering instruction at the Centers and surrounding communities that leverages expertise in NASA STEM content and other NASA educational resources as a means to engage the general public and educators.
The selected candidate will be a Texas State University employee located at one of the ten NASA Space Research Centers located in the following states: California, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio. The approximate start date of this position will be January 8, 2018.
• Master’s degree or higher in education; science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM); or in a related area.
• Teaching certification in one or more U.S. states or equivalent experience in educator professional development.
• At least three years of experience teaching STEM-related subjects.
• Demonstrated evidence of having received professional training in the Next Generation Science Standards and experience teaching or delivering curriculum that highlights the practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas of the NGSS.
• Demonstrated evidence of experience delivering STEM professional development to K-12 teachers.
• Evidence of technology proficiency, including understanding and skill in use of educational technologies such as robotics, programming, Maker tools, etc. [This position requires the employee to deliver a substantial amount of the professional development via distance technologies, or “online.”]
• Experience providing educator professional development at a NASA Research Center
• Familiarity with NASA marketing campaigns and technological resources
• Evidence of study and understanding of effective STEM pedagogy [general theory is sufficient).
• Evidence of study and understanding of culturally relevant pedagogy [general theory is sufficient).
• Demonstrated knowledge of leading, changing, and emerging education trends at the national level.
• Demonstrated experience with web-based communication tools and software products and well as with mainstream productivity software (e.g., Adobe Connect, Skype, WebEx, MSOffice, etc.).
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/19931. To assure full consideration, please submit the following by September 1, 2017: 1) Letter of application describing qualifications for the position and prior experience as a certified K-12 educator with expertise in some STEM subject areas, experience delivering STEM professional development to other educators, and a desire to work at one of the ten NASA Space Research Centers located in the following states: California, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio. Letter must include a personal email address and telephone number through which communication about employment is allowable; 2) Current Curriculum Vitae; and 3) List of three professional references including names, mail and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. (We will contact references only after communicating with finalists for the position.)
Selected candidates for interview will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities and proof of credentials.
Proposed Start Date: Spring 2018
Open Until Filled? Yes
Review Date: 09/01/2017