Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in Nutrition #20180002FAC
Position Title: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in Nutrition
Job Posting Number: 20180002FAC
Job Location: San Marcos
College of Applied Arts
School School of Family and Consumer Sciences
Position Description: Texas State invites applications to fill a 9-month (academic year) tenure-track position with possible summer teaching. Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate nutrition and foods courses; developing new courses; conducting community or translational research, in areas such as physical performance, determinants of eating behaviors, cardiovascular disease, obesity, neurological disorders, or diabetes, with the expectation to obtain external funding and publishing; involving undergraduate and graduate students in research; participating in appropriate service activities. Collectively, this position includes teaching, scholarship, and professional service.
The program currently offers a baccalaureate degree in Nutrition and Foods (3 tracks, including dietetics); an accredited Dietetic Internship with a concentration in child nutrition that includes graduate coursework (http://www.fcs.txstate.edu/graduate_programs/nutr_di.html); and master’s degree in Human Nutrition (http://www.fcs.txstate.edu/graduate_programs/ms_nutr.html).
Texas State University, a Hispanic-Serving Institution with Emerging Research status, is located in central Texas between two large metropolitan areas, Austin and San Antonio. Proximity to Austin and San Antonio allows for a diverse and expansive Nutrition and Foods Program with 33 graduate students and nine dietetic interns. The Nutrition and Foods programs are housed in the Family and Consumer Sciences building containing state-of-the-art research facilities equipped with new instruments as well as an anthropometrics lab and a sensory analysis facility.
Required Qualifications (for all ranks unless otherwise indicated)
Earned PhD in nutrition or complementary field (with at least 18 graduate hours of coursework in Nutrition or an undergraduate degree in Nutrition).
An active research program (associate/full) or experience conducting research (assistant) related to one or more of the following areas:
• the role of nutrition in prevention and/or treatment of diabetes, cancer or other chronic diseases, including translational research;
• biochemical and molecular nutrition;
• nutrition and neuroscience;
• nutrition and the microbiome;
• community nutrition;
• social determinants of health; or
• policy, systems, and environmental nutrition.
• Evidence of recent publication in indexed and peer-reviewed journals.
• Evidence of grant-writing experience (associate/full).
• Evidence of external funding (associate/full).
• Experience teaching at the university level.
• Graduate and undergraduate student research mentoring (associate/full).
The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on university and department established criteria.
Preferred Qualifications (for all ranks unless otherwise indicated)
• Professional and/or post doctoral experience in nutrition research;
• Grant writing experience (assistant).
• Evidence of external funding (assistant).
• Graduate and undergraduate student mentoring (assistant).
• Teaching and/or research awards.
• Registered Dietitian credential.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/19522. To ensure full consideration, please submit the following by Sept 30, 2017: a current vita, a letter of intent describing experience and fit with the position, and the email address of three individuals who will provide references.
The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree-granting universities.
Proposed Start Date: Fall 2018
Open Until Filled? Yes
Review Date: 09/30/2017