Senior Research Assistant
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
GW’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine (MITM) conducts innovative, fundamental, basic and translational research for HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. MITM has a strong tradition of training and policy advocacy for these infectious and parasitic diseases, which initiate and perpetuate poverty and suffering worldwide. Additional information on MITM can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/
Molecular parasitology laboratory within the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Tropical Medicine is seeking a full-time research assistant. This position will aid the PI in conducting molecular biology and cell biology investigations into the genetic basis of antigenic variation in the unicellular human parasite Trypanosoma brucei. This position requires impeccable sterile technique, experience with bacterial media preparation and growth, proficiency in a broad array of fundamental molecular biology techniques (including but not limited to DNA preparation, molecular cloning, and PCR). Some experience with eukaryotic cell culture, flow-cytometry, and preparation of next generation sequencing libraries is desired. Laboratory duties will also include specialized media preparation, general lab organization and supplies ordering, and overseeing laboratory setup.
The successful applicant will have excellent communication skills (written and spoken) and enthusiasm for research science. The individual will conduct experiments directly under the supervision of the principal investigator and will be closely mentored and guided to advance their career in research science.
• Provides assistance to PI.
• Closely follows established research protocols.
• Plans and schedules experiments consistent with the timeline of ongoing experiments.
• Maintains detailed records.
• Develops and optimizes experiments that include: molecular biology, PCR, RT-PCR, flow-cytometry,
• Prepares specialized media.
• Conducts primary data analysis and result reporting.
• Establishes new research protocols.
• Improves existing research processes.
• Performs general maintenance of the laboratory.
• Maintains and troubleshoots equipment.
• Inventories and orders supplies.
• Assists with financial management of laboratory purchasing.
• Works closely with students
• Participates in group meetings and presents data
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position,
A BA/BS in related discipline and 1 year of experience in the field or in a related area.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
A B.A., B.S., or M.S in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry or a related science.
At least 1 year of practical laboratory experience.
Experience in cell culture, molecular biology and immunology techniques.
Competence in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30am - 5:30pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, two letters of scientific reference, and optional statement of research goals and interests.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000298 Job Open Date: 05/04/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a BS/BA in biology, chemistry or related area?
- Do you have experience working in a molecular biology research laboratory?
- Do you have basic computing skills?
- Do you have clear communication skills (written and verbal)?
- Are you an enthusiastic learner?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Statement of Research Interest