Part-Time English Language Specialist
University of Colorado Denver
Office of International Affairs - ESL Academy
Part-Time English Language Specialist
Position #696345 - Requisition 09470
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of International Affairs - ESL Academy has an ongoing posting for a part-time University Staff (unclassified) English Language Specialist position.
This position teaches intensive English classes in all skill areas to non-native English speaking college-bound students. This position may also substitute teach in classes as needed. This position is paid hourly per classroom contact hour and will also receive administrative pay for meetings, professional development, and office hours. Assignments are dependent upon student enrollment targets. There are no travel and relocation expenses available for this position. Local candidates are preferred.
Examples of Work Performed:
- During instructional weeks, teach one to two classes per term or special session
- Deliver and tailor instruction to a variety of language and cultural backgrounds in accordance with prescribed curricular objectives and outcomes
- Substitute teach as needed
- Participate in staff meetings
- Hold at least one office hour per course allocation per week
- Prepare for each class ahead of time with balanced, rigorous lesson plans
- Assess student progress according to curricular objectives and outcomes
- Adhere to program policies and procedures by reporting student offenses (plagiarism, cheating, absences, etc.)
- Record attendance and grades daily on-line
- Utilize Canvas to for all record-keeping and communication with students
- Collaborate with other English Language Specialists
- Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or related field.
- One to three years of teaching in an intensive/academic English program setting.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to teach a broad variety of ESL skill areas and proficiency levels.
- Experience using technology in pedagogy.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience teaching English abroad.
- Experience in: curriculum construction, assessment, or accent modification.
- Experience coordinating placement and end-of-term proficiency testing.
- Three to five years of full-time teaching experience in an intensive English program setting.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Work well independently and on a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Tamara Carlin at Tamara.Carlin@ucdenver.edu.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies in the department. Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, reference Requisition 09470. The Search Committee reviews applications and interviews on an as-needed basis, usually from term to term, depending on enrollment. Applications will remain on file until the hiring department has an immediate need to review applications.. Screening and interviews can be conducted at any point in time as the hiring department desires. Applications will remain on file for up to one year. Once a screening has occurred, applicants will be notified of their status.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30053 - AVCASA-OIA Intl Education
Posting Date: May 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tamara Carlin
Posting Contact Email: Tamara.Carlin@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00696345