Intellectual Property Analyst
Salary: $67,300 - $99,900
Title: Intellectual Property Analyst
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Technology Partnerships
Date Posted: 03/03/2017
Position Information: Under supervision by the Director of the Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC), the Intellectual Property (IP) Analyst will primarily be responsible for docketing, managing, tracking, and monitoring the UCR patent portfolio activities, including, but not limited to invention disclosure review and acceptance, patent application filings (U.S. and foreign), office actions, attorney invoicing, maintenance fees and annuities. The IP Analyst is expected to interact internally with licensing officers and staff in OTC, inventors of UCR IP, and with outside patent counsel and should have an acute attention to detail, well organized, follow-through to conclusion of actions, with ability to identify errors, offer resolution, and to meet strict deadlines. A certified paralegal and/or registered patent agent is preferred.
Minimum Requirements: Working knowledge of and application of standard principles, theories and concepts such as laws, regulations, and practices pertaining to the protection and management of intellectual property, university technology transfer, and general scientific and/or technical skills in subject matter area.
Ability to market technology to industrial partners, knowledge of contracts and grants preferred.
Demonstrated familiarity of patent (U.S. and foreign, including PCT) prosecution procedures, timelines, laws and regulations. Working knowledge of required patent documents and forms in the patent prosecution process.
Working knowledge of commercial patent docketing systems. Familiarity of UC patent tracking database or comparably similar.
Working knowledge of law firm billing practices. Demonstrated ability to carefully review and interpret a variety of legal invoices for legal work from law firms to assess correctness and accuracy for approval.
Strong interpersonal skills and a customer-service oriented individual who will be responsive to the needs of industry affiliates, faculty, and students. Demonstrated energy and enthusiasm.
Precise attention to detail, well organized, follow-through to conclusion of actions, with ability to identify errors, offer resolution, and to meet strict deadlines. Demonstrated record as a team player within a diverse environment. Self-starter with strong work ethic who can work well with others.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview