Program Assistant I
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pathology
Program Assistant I
Position #735510 - Requisition 10150
The Department of Pathology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Program Assistant I position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Department of Pathology requires a Program Assistant I to provide high-level para-professional and administrative support. The position will provide support for the Director of Administration and Finance as well for the Department. This Program Assistant I will provide high-end detailed administrative office support for the Department of Pathology Chair and Director of Finance and Administration which will include working independently and exercising judgment to determine priorities and have the flexibility to work collaboratively with faculty and staff in the Department of Pathology. In addition, this role will assist with the hiring process by organizing search committees, corresponding with candidates, and assisting with new hire procedures including in the case of medical faculty that required Colorado licensure and documents are properly routed for credentialing through the UCH Medical Staff Office and University Physicians, as well as assisting in the Faculty termination process.
This position will set up and manage both manual and electronic file systems within the Department of Pathology. The Program Assistant will provide administrative support for Annual Faculty Evaluations, Faculty Promotion Review, and Post-Tenure Review. The role will schedule faculty and administrative travel arrangements to include processing travel authorizations. Furthermore, this role will provide daily filing and copying, utilize University and University Hospital systems, manage calendars in Outlook, Word and Excel, and function as a liaison between the Department of Pathology, the SOM Dean's Office, and University Hospital to request, track and troubleshoot SOM and UH requirements. This role will also perform other duties assigned which may include maintaining good relationships with faculty, staff, and vendors, utilizing University procedures and protocol, etc.
Examples of Work Performed:
Managing/Maintaining Departmental Faculty Records: Maintains records for faculty activity in the Department of Pathology, to include:
- Initiating the search/recruitment process to fill new/vacant faculty positions, adhering to guidelines prescribed by the University, including advertising in national journals/newsletters and by distribution through national e-mail distribution lists.
- Communicating with candidates and organizing visits of faculty candidates, including arranging travel and lodging and interview schedules.
- Monitoring the hiring process of new faculty to ensure guidelines prescribed by the University are followed, beginning with preparation and routing of letters of offer and faculty appointment forms through the SOM Dean's Office to (in the case of medical faculty)
- Ensuring that new faculty obtain required Colorado licensure and that documents are properly routed for credentialing through the UCH Medical Staff Office and University Physicians.
- Under the supervision of the Department Chair and in compliance with University mandate, scheduling annual faculty evaluation meetings for all departmental faculty, preparing the annual evaluation forms and distributing them to departmental faculty, and ensuring evaluation documents are completed by faculty and submitted to the Chair prior to their scheduled evaluation meetings.
- Monitoring the post-tenure review of tenured faculty in accordance with University guidelines, communicating to faculty what documents are required for this review and the deadline for receipt of these documents in the Chair's Office; distributing copies of the post tenure dossier to members of the departmental post tenure committee(s); ensuring that this process is completed in a timely manner and the results are communicated to the SOM Faculty Affairs Office.
- Compiling necessary documents for dossiers of candidates proposed for appointment to departmental faculty and for faculty being reviewed for promotion and tenure in the format required by University guidelines, and ensuring this review process is completed according to University guidelines and submitted to the SOM Faculty Affairs Office by the required deadlines.
General Correspondence and Filing:
- Maintaining copies of critical correspondence/documents in individual faculty files and communicating faculty actions or other appropriate information to the Departmental Administrator and Assistant Administrator for payroll/benefit and general salary purposes.
Travel scheduling for Department Administration:
- Organizing and making flight, hotel, and conference reservations for Department Administrative travel.
- Generating reimbursement documents for University/UPI travel.
- Scheduling meetings, phone calls and conferences with faculty and committees, within the Department and on campus, as well as visitors from outside the University, including travel to outside speaking engagements, scientific advisory board meetings and other outside conferences.
- Securing rooms for meetings when appropriate.
- Arranging food for on-campus meetings, as required.
- This position needs to gather information to determine the most appropriate time and location of meetings, conference calls or committee meetings.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Four (4) years of general clerical or administrative service experience, which included one (1) year of experience administrative support to faculty and staff within in a higher education and/or medical education environment.
Substitution: College, university or non-correspondence business school course work may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the general experience but not for the specific experience.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working with record keeping systems.
- Experience monitoring, analyzing and tracking data.
- Experience providing administrative HR assistance/support to faculty and staff within in a higher education and/or medical education environment.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word to develop, edit and update reports, letters, correspondence etc.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Excel and Access to create, revise, improve and maintain spreadsheets, statistics, financial reports, database, etc.
- Experience working with and managing sensitive and confidential information.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to prioritize tasks in accordance with Department objectives.
- Ability to develop and maintain a solid understanding of UCD, UPI, and SOM fiscal and travel policies and be able to accurately provide faculty and fellows with information related to documentation and travel planning requirements.
- Ability to work with personnel from other departments on campus in order to coordinate meetings involving multiple faculty members within a given timeline. This will require effective communication with the faculty members and their staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Positive attitude and a willingness to help and be a team player.
- Strong computer skills including all programs in the Microsoft Office Professional Suite.
- Ability to quickly learn new web-based programs and database applications.
- Ability to working with UCD software such as Marketplace and Concur.
- Acute attention to detail and follow-up required, along with the ability to move from one task/duty to another without errors despite frequent interruptions.
- Ability to be flexible and adjust quickly to shifting demands; recognition that in this business, unexpected situations arise that require a re-arrangement of schedules.
- Ability to provide administrative support for multiple individuals is required.
- Ability to maintain excellent customer service and friendly working relationships with a diverse group of co-workers, faculty, lab personnel, fellows and students.
- Knowledge of the administrative structure of UCD and SOM.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Matt Bilby at email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Jun 30, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Matt Bilby
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00735510