Sports Field Supervisor
Position Number 12648
Position Classification Title Building & Environmental Sup
Functional Title Sports Field Supervisor
Position Type Staff
The Grounds section of Facilities Operations at UNCG is a service organization comprised of skilled professionals dedicated to providing the highest quality in grounds planning, installation, landscape maintenance, and improvements. The primary functions of Grounds are to enhance the livability, aesthetics, and safety of the campus environment. Grounds management is provided to 260 acres including intramural and intercollegiate athletic sports complexes, sports fields, landscape maintenance, integrated turf pest management, and the tree management program.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide direction and supervision to all activities related to grounds maintenance assigned to the Sports Turf Shop.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Sports field, golf grounds, turf, tree and shrub maintenance operations; maintenance includes:
- Weed Control
- Sodding and top dressing
- Mowing and trim mowing
- Weed eating and edging
- Edging walks and drives
- Soil testing
- Pre-Post emergent weed control
- Planing and maintaining flowers
- Landscape planting
- Field renovation
- Supervision of employees
- Irrigation maintenance
- Safety training
- Preventive maintenance and repairs on grounds equipment
- General overall campus grounds upkeep, cleanup and tidiness
This position is also responsible for irrigation maintenance, safety training, preventive maintenance and repairs on grounds equipment and general overall campus grounds upkeep. This position is a mandatory position as defined in the Adverse Weather and Emergency Event Policy.
The Sports Turf Shop takes care of sports fields, golf grounds, and turf, tree, and shrub maintenance. Employees conduct field maintenance for special projects and events.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Some positions may require certification or eligibility for certification.
Additional minimum qualifications:
A valid driver's license is required
Two (2) to three (3) years of directly related experience.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must complete the on-line application in its entirety. "See resume" will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
This position is a mandatory position as defined in the Adverse Weather and Emergency Event Policy.
Recruitment Range $39,567 - $45,583
Org #-Department Grounds - 56405
Work Hours of Position 6:00 A.M. - 2:30 P.M., Monday - Friday, other times as required
Job Family Building Environmental Services
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Knowledge Technical: Recommends the use of new tools, products, processes and/or equipment to facilitate an efficient and effective environmental services program.
Planning and Organizing Work: Plans work operations; performs inspections and implements changes in procedures, workflow and manpower assignments; establishes priorities through regular staff meetings and sets deadlines. Develop plans, organizational structures, and systems to fulfill organizational goals. Reviews accomplishments to ensure program missions and goals are being met. Makes final review for the most difficult, controversial or sensitive work in order to assess and problem solve.
Budgeting: Operates within assigned budget.
Communication: Leads by example in overcoming communication problems in the work area. Communicates well with employees and customers.
Open Date 06/30/2017
Close Date 07/23/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 62
Number of Months per Year 12
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Do you have at least two years of supervisory experience in the assigned field?
- * Do you have previous Grounds Maintenance experience at a higher learning institution?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu