Scientific Data Curator 2
Scientific Data Curator 2
Job Number: 75454
Stanford University Department of Biomedical Data Science is seeking a Scientific Curator 2 for the PharmGKB. This position works as part of a team of scientific curators to build and maintain the world's largest collection of pharmacogenomics information. S/he will collect and analyze pharmacogenomics information from scientific literature and other sources. S/he is responsible for accurately and efficiently abstracting this information in the required format, writing educated summaries of pharmacogenomics findings, and integrating and analyzing the collected data to inform pharmacogenomic associations and recommendations. S/he will write manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication, and develop clinical content for new applications. The Scientific Curator must have the ability to understand and/or become familiar with the scientific literature, experimental procedures and their limitations, and the needs of the pharmacogenomics research community.
- Collect and analyze information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and through direct submissions; abstract data into the required format, and verify them for accuracy.
- Identify and acquire new data for inclusion in the database; collaborate with other labs for the purpose of gathering more information to be included in the database.
- Compile and create educated summaries of the literature, discovering new facts by analyzing the collected data.
- Write papers drawing from information submitted to the database.
- Work with users to determine ways of using the information in the database, which may include the development of new user interfaces; work with developers to translate the needs of the users into new functionality.
- Identify new functionality and user interfaces that would enhance the use of the database.
- Promote the database to researchers as a tool to be used in their research and as a way to gather more content.
- Participate in presentations and demonstrations of the database at conferences or other institutions.
- Enjoys writing and public speaking
- PhD degree in a scientific field and/or PharmD
- In-depth training and knowledge of pharmacogenetics, genetics
- Familiarity with publicly available biological databases such as dbSNP, ClinVar
- Familiarity with the current needs of the pharmacogenomics research community
- Familiarity with disease areas such as cancer or cardiovascular disease a plus
Master's degree in scientific field and three years of relevant experience or combination of relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to learn and utilize relational databases, data integration, and statistics.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research community.
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
Job: Information Analytics
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.