University of San Francisco
Provides work leadership to others through assignment of work, review of progress, monitoring of results and instruction. Develops and maintains schedules for pruning, fertilizing, and pesticide application. Maintains and operates power equipment and tools, including but not limited to power lawn mowers, power edgers and power blowers. Oversees and may perform ground-keeping work maintaining and caring for landscaped areas, cultivating and fertilizing lawns, plants, shrubs and trees. Oversees and maintains irrigation system. Inspects and maintains the exterior areas of entire campus including surroundings of buildings, thoroughfares including both hard and soft surfaces.
• Supervises, directs, assigns and evaluates the daily work of assigned staff.
• Organizes coordinates and supervises the landscape crew engaged in the planting, cultivation, propagation, transplanting, trimming and removal of trees, shrubs, hedges, lawns and other ground coverages, asphalt and concrete repairs, drains, pest and noxious weed control using independent discretion and judgment.
• Responsible for inspecting and managing the quality and safety of all exterior areas of 53 acre campus and the surroundings of 29 buildings, public and campus thoroughfares, including all hard surfaces (sidewalks, paths, hardscape), managing the university’s tree inventory and irrigation water conservation.
• Plans type, size and arrangement of plants, designs areas, investigates new operational techniques, materials and equipment to effect improved and more economical performance.
• Directs the renovation and maintenance of two athletic playing fields at a Division 1 level in support of the University Athletics programs.
• Responsible for the maintenance and repair of hand tools; power and vehicle equipment; fountains; the installation, modification, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
• Determines selection for the purchasing of equipment, material and supplies including plants, biocides and irrigation equipment; obtains competitive bids and supervises all work done by outside contractors; assists in the preparation of the annual budget to accomplish horticultural activities and equipment purchases and repairs.
• Supervises 9 full time gardeners; hires and manages temporary gardeners as needed.
• Trains assigned subordinates in tree and plant maintenance, use of biocides, fertilizers, irrigation installation, equipment operation and safety procedures.
• Evaluates and reports on employee performance.
• Provides budget and capital equipment requirements to Director of Operations.
• Administers payroll in Kronos time keeping system.
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in supervisory capacity.
• Specialized training in parks and maintenance, athletic field maintenance, landscape construction and/or landscape crew management may offset some required experience.
• Must be willing to work where herbicides and insecticides are present.
• Must hold or acquire required licenses and certifications needed for application of fertilizers and pesticide.
• Knowledge of chemical and fertilizer formulations and experience in their use is required.
• Must demonstrate hands on skill and experience along with advanced understanding of horticultural practices including pruning, irrigation, and fertilization; ability to identify and troubleshoot plants, disease and pests, soils and growing mediums and safe operation of power equipment.
• Must display skill in planning, scheduling, directing and evaluating the work of others, record keeping, making oral and written reports, performing mathematical calculations, reading landscaping and planting blueprints and estimating labor and material needs.
• Landscape maintenance, irrigation, fertilization, pest control and tree trimming
• Safety and safe working practices for grounds keeping work
• Maintaining records and preparing reports and correspondence including required regulatory reports and records
• Successful candidate must be customer and service oriented with competent and pleasant interpersonal skills and sensitivity to working in a university campus environment.
• Able to inspect and manage the quality and safety of all exterior areas of 53 acre campus and the surroundings of 29 buildings, public and campus thoroughfares, including all hard surfaces (sidewalks, paths, hardscape), managing the university’s tree inventory and irrigation water conservation.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to hazardous conditions and/or materials that may include feces and/or urine, used syringes, etc.
• Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the duties of the job including sufficient strength to lift 60 lbs.
• Must be able to walk approximately 2 - 5 miles per day, personally inspecting and touring our 53-acre campus which includes 29 buildings as well as approximately four acres of natural/wild and often steep terrain on the north/west slopes of Lone Mountain.
• Possess normal vision, hearing and physical dexterity.
• Ability to work from ladders.
• May need to possess the ability to measure, mark, and record openings and distances to lay out areas where landscape work will be performed
• May require riding mowers and driving small utility vehicles.
• Must be willing to work in a variety of weather conditions.
• Ability to safely and correctly lift, drag and/or move with assistance large and/or heavy plants and equipment to truck bed level, and the ability to kneel, bend and squat for considerable periods.
• California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record are required.
• Use hand tools to cut and shape material as per requirements
For information on how to apply, please visit the following link: www.usfjobs.com
The University of San Francisco is an equal opportunity institution of higher education. As a matter of policy, the University does not discriminate in employment, educational services and academic programs on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age (except minors), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related and genetic-related) and disability, and the other bases prohibited by law. The University reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities under the law.