CUSTODIAN (3 Vacancies at San Jose City College)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
CUSTODIAN (3 Vacancies at San Jose City College)
Position #: 1700064
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$41,396 - $50,494 Annual Salary (Range 65: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 17 paid holidays.
The Custodian(s) report to the Custodial Supervisor at San Jose City College. Work schedules for the 3 positions are as follows:
Reporting to a Custodial Supervisor or assigned administrator, perform a wide variety of custodial, maintenance, and moving tasks in the care, cleaning and setup of assigned classrooms, offices and facilities and keep them in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Sweep, scrub, mop, wash, polish, strip and wax concrete, linoleum, tile, and wood floors using various low and high speed power machines; scrub, clean, and seal cement, terrazzo and ceramic tile floors. 2. Operate a hot water pressure (steam) cleaner in the cleaning of aggregate and cement floor surfaces. 3. Burnish, re-stripe and refinish hardwood gymnasium and other hardwood flooring. 4. Scrub baseboards and walls; vacuum, shampoo and spot-clean carpeting; clean ceilings, air vents, and light fixtures. 5. Dust, wash, and polish furniture and woodwork; wash and clean windows, walls and chalkboards, whiteboards and smartboards. 6. Clean and maintain restrooms, shower and locker rooms, cafeterias, offices and related facilities. 7. Empty and clean waste receptacles; sweep sidewalks, pick up papers and clean drinking fountains. 8. Replenish supplies and fill paper and soap dispensers; deliver supplies, furniture and equipment from one campus location to another. 9. Turn out lights, lock doors and windows, and set alarm to ensure security of the buildings and restricted areas. 10. Use a variety of electrical, mechanical, and hand tools to move, set up and knock down staging, seating, and audio-visual equipment used for community or District activities and events. 11. Operate manual sprayers for insecticides inside buildings. 12. Assemble, set up, or move furnishings such as desks, file cabinets and chairs including heavy items such as fireproof cabinets, weight room equipment and computer equipment. 13. Operate District vehicles such as a flatbed truck, a manual transmission moving van and other vans, station wagons, dump truck, gas and electric forklifts. 14. Set up and work off scaffolding, ladders, and other equipment at heights to 30 feet to clean windows and vents. 15. Test new products and equipment; report (oral or written) on results. 16. Use materials such as cleaning products, chemicals, floor finishes, stripers, insecticides and pesticides. 17. Carry portable radio or cell phone during work and be available for general custodial duties anywhere on campus. 18. Observe and report conditions which may indicate vandalism, illegal entry or fire hazard. 19. Work as a team for the set up and cleanup of athletic, community service and college events. 20. Input work orders; fill in for a custodian at any district location as assigned. 21. Lift, carry, and move heavy objects. 22. Replace carpet tiles and make minor repairs to furniture as needed. 23. Assist in compiling District property inventories. 24. Assist in the training of new Custodial employees. 25. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of:
- Effective and safe methods used in general custodial/janitorial work;
- Operation and use of power driven equipment, including light truck, moving van, forklifts and utility vehicles.
- Operation, use, and maintenance of wet and dry vacuum machines, low and high speed floor machines, rotary and “steam” carpet shampoo machines, high pressure “steam” cleaners, and power driven sweepers.
- Operation and maintenance of hand sprayers for insecticides.
- Safe and proper method of collecting and disposing of hazardous materials.
- Read, write, and speak English.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions specified in English.
- Exercise judgment in carrying out assigned tasks without detailed instructions.
- Operate office equipment, computers, smartphones and tablets with related software.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety.
- Perform sustained physical labor requiring lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Safely operate custodial power driven equipment and floor cleaning machines and equipment.
- Safely work on scaffolding and ladders at heights up to 30 feet.
- Work in areas that may require use of respirator or protective clothing.
- Pass a complete physical examination prior to permanent appointment.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
1. Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Completion of formal or informal education which assures the ability to read, write and speak at the level sufficient for successful job performance.
2. Experience in building or related cleaning work.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Indoor, office environment and outdoor environment with climate changes.
2. Hazardous conditions.
3. Exposure to pollen, dust particles, chemicals, and fumes.
4. Includes travel to conduct work.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities