San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1700073
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Library and Learning Resources
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$21.25 - $25.93 Hourly Salary (Range 70: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
The Library Technician reports to the Dean of Library, Learning Resources & Distance Education located at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 11 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 12:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. and Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Under the direction of a Dean or Director of Library Services, perform a wide variety of technical and clerical library/media center activities related to such areas as technical services, periodical services, circulation services and library instruction using the full range of technologies available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general assistance to patrons in circulation services, locating library/media center materials.
- Assist patrons in a lab setting with computer applications and use of integrated library systems.
- Oversee and participate in the physical processing of materials in preparation for circulation, shelving and other library/media center activities.
- Label, reinforce, bind, jacket, stamp and repair library/media center materials; treat materials for security system.
- Type and distribute new acquisitions lists and bibliographies,
- Route selected materials to librarians, instructors, and administrators.
- Check-out print and non-print library/media center materials to patrons; check-in materials on return.
- Maintain accurate registration and transaction files and review files to identify overdue materials.
- Prepare overdue notices and assess and collect cash payments for overdue, damaged and lost materials.
- Follow-up on overdue notices to recover un-returned library/media center materials.
- Place holds on student records for non-return of library/media center materials.
- Respond to student and faculty in-person and telephone requests for library/media center materials, services, and information.
- Assist with coordination of circulation activities for library/media center materials.
- Assist patrons with the use of library and audio-visual materials and computers. Supply change for photocopy machines.
- Troubleshoot video and copy machines and computers as necessary.
- Organize and secure collection of master software, audio cassettes and manuals.
- Issue instructional materials to students, maintain inventory of supplies and replace materials as necessary.
- Assist in the maintenance of current statistics on library/media center operations and prepare summary reports.
- Maintain inventory of standard supplies and reorder as necessary.
- Assist in developing procedures and forms.
- Assist in taking inventory of library/media center collection of print and non-print materials.
- Prepare displays and exhibits, draft layouts, and prepare signs.
- Assist with training and providing direction to student workers assigned to unit or function.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Standard library procedures of a complex nature including cataloging and circulation procedures.
- Library of Congress classification system.
- Preparation and repair of library/media center materials.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Modern office methods, practices and equipment including personal computers and related software.
- Audio-visual equipment and its basic operation.
- Learn to perform a variety of library/media center work with speed and accuracy.
- Work independently within general guidelines or parameters.
- Respond to questions from patrons and the general public in a courteous, tactful manner.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Operate a calculator, facsimile machine, computer and other office equipment.
- Type at a rate of speed necessary for effective job performance.
- Receive and properly record cash payments for overdue materials.
- Learn to operate an integrated library software system.
- Organize assigned work to effectively meet deadlines and schedules.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any combination of experience and education equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year of prior library experience in a clerical or technical capacity.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Hearing and speaking to exchange information
2. Seeing to read a variety of materials.
3. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
4. Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
5. Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally to shelve and retrieve materials.
6. Lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling moderately heavy materials.
1. Library environment.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities