Market Research Analyst
Market Research Analyst
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: CORPORATE & PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
This individual is responsible for performing market research and analyzing research data to support current program sales and marketing directives and determination of future programs, and their market viability. With directives driven by the CPE and ACE Management Teams, this individual will work with the product teams and take direction from the management team to determine what type of market research can be done to support business objectives; what market group(s) should be targeted; performing or directing the research within the available budget; using qualitative and quantitative techniques to analyze and interpret the collected data, producing substantiated recommendations for the CPE team. Analysis data includes both internally generated data such as Google Analytics and historical enrollment data and external data as obtained through third parties or generated through studies created and conducted by the market research specialist.
WPI is a leading provider of corporate education products to industry, and develops corporate partnerships to foster cutting-edge research through undergraduate, graduate and PhD projects. WPI offerings span both degree programs and CEU-based workshops and technical short courses for professionals in a variety of areas including engineering, life sciences, management and technology. Our highly regarded corporate education department fuels the invention of educational products and solutions so we can better serve industry, enter new markets, and build collaborative relationships with the business world.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface effectively with other Corporate and Professional Education staff including Sales, Business Development, Marketing and Operations employees.
- Interface with WPI faculty and staff; establish and maintain relationships on campus that may be leveraged to better inform research and analyses.
- Conduct market research to assist in strategic decision making with regard to program development, sales, and marketing initiatives. Data shall come from a wide variety of internal and external sources to meaningfully:
- Assess the market need
- Quantify the market size
- Quantify current and future competition
- Assess economic factors that may influence the success of a program
- Discern the perfect price point between volume and profitability for training products.
- Make recommendations to Marketing and Sales for ways to better Position our brand
- Assist Product Marketing in differentiating our products’ or services’ unique selling propositions
- Assist Product Marketing in Identifying creative strategies to market our products or services
- Assist Sales with focused studies correlating local industry to the programs that we offer
- Assess the market need
- Work with Sales, Marketing, and Business Systems to obtain valid and relevant data from internal sources such as Banner, SalesForce, and other sources, and drive analysis of and recommendations from that data for the Management Team.
- Support ACE market research initiatives and special projects, for example, acting as RBE data curator for the MHTC MITRE Matters Tech Sector project;
- Writing and managing the distribution of surveys and questionnaires such that the necessary data is captured;
- Briefing survey interviewers and researchers, managing survey staff, moderating focus groups and monitoring the progress of research projects as needed;
- Conducting in-depth data analyses using traditional and advanced methods as appropriate;
- Analyzing and interpreting data gathered from varied data sources to identify patterns and solutions, including surveys and focus group transcripts;
- Self-initiated discovery of innovative data sources to better inform the research;
- Writing high quality, fully substantiated research reports and presenting results containing actionable recommendations using an approved template/format;
- Advising senior management and other internal customers on how to best use research findings;
- Assessing future trends;
- Managing research budgets as needed;
- Be involved in continuous improvement functions within Corporate and Professional Education with the goal of becoming a “Best” practices division;
- Other duties as may be assigned or determined to support the continued growth and development of Corporate and Professional Education.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in business, engineering, mathematics, or the analytical sciences
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with industry in a custom market research or marketing role.
- Background in business/management, engineering, economics, mathematics, statistics, statistical data analysis
- Psychology, sociology, social science analytical skills a plus
- Strong business acumen, good analytical and numerical skills, good critical thinking skills
- Able to effectively make well informed analyses and recommendations while keeping aware of politically important nuances of the audience
- High energy level with good initiative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the engineering and tech sector demographic is a plus
- Higher Ed and/or non-profit experience is a plus
Posting Date: 06/27/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4677
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.