Assistant Football Coach
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Jun 29, '17
Type: Part-time Temporary
The Assistant Football Coach is the person responsible for assisting the Asst Coach of an NCAA program in the sport of Football. This includes, but is not limited to, recruitment of prospective student-athletes, student-athlete development, competition preparation and strategy, supervision of volunteer Asst coaches, scheduling, alumni and public relations, fundraising, adherence to NCAA rules and regulations, and general administrative duties. The Asst Coach will be evaluated by the Asst Coach to the extent to which coaches are providing a positive meaningful educational experience for student-athletes leading to their graduation and the extent to which they are implementing a sport culture in which he/she is viewed by the student-athlete(s) as a mentor, educator and role model. The Asst Coach will also be responsible for supporting the philosophy, goals and Mission of the Asst Coach, the college and its Athletic program as well as adherence to departmental, university, and NCAA policies and procedures. Other duties as qualified and assigned by the Director of Athletics could include, but are not limited to coaching another sport, Equipment Room Manager, Fitness Center Mgt, Facilities & Events Mgt, Fundraising/Development, Strength & Conditioning, Club Sport Coordinator, PE Instructor, etc.
- Recruiting: The Asst Coach is responsible for the implementing a comprehensive plan that identifies, evaluates and recruits high quality student-athletes to Alfred State. This includes, but is not limited to, phone contacts, in-person evaluations, home visits and student-athlete visits to campus. The Asst Coach is responsible, as per NCAA rules, to maintain accurate records of all recruitment activities for himself/herself and any volunteer coaches.
- Team Preparation: The Asst Coach is responsible for training, teaching and conditioning student-athletes in preparation for all intercollegiate contests. The Asst Coach will plan and supervise practices, prepare game strategies and coach the team at contests. The Asst Coach will work closely with the Strength and Conditioning and Athletic Training staffs to develop and implement a comprehensive program of conditioning and injury prevention.
- Student-Athlete Development: The Asst Coach is responsible for implementing an atmosphere and culture that is a reflection of the missions of both the Athletic Department and the College. A positive student-athlete experience, both on and off the field is a number one priority of the coaching staff and administration. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring academic performance including graduation rates, study hall, and class attendance. Incumbent is also responsible for the behavior and appearance of student-athletes and managers under his/her direction while they are representing the institution.
- Administrative Responsibilities: The Asst Coach will be responsible for a wide variety of administrative tasks as designated by the Head Coach, including, but not limited to, scheduling of practices and games, annual reports, recruiting logs, providing rosters and other paperwork to various offices for NCAA compliance issues, team travel plans, media guide development, etc. and all any/all administrative requirements for any other duties as assigned.
- NCAA Rules Compliance: The Asst Coach will be responsible for knowledge of, and adherence to, NCAA rules and regulations pertaining to recruiting, eligibility, and general operation of the Football program.
- Budget: The Asst Coach will be responsible for implementing a budget as designated by his/her Head Coach, with final approval granted by the Director of Athletics. This includes, but is not limited to, working with the Equipment Manager to purchase and track inventory of equipment/uniforms, monitoring travel expenses of team and coaches and planning student-athlete scholarship awards to stay within budgeted/NCAA allocation. The Asst Coach is responsible for reconciliation of expenditures for all team travel, recruiting expenses and other Football related expenses.
- Generation of Revenue: The Asst Coach will be expected participate in fundraising activities for both the general athletic program and the Football program as designated by the Head Coach. The Asst Coach will strive to meet a mutually agreed upon fundraising goal for the Football program toward the department general fund.
- Community Services: The Asst Coach will be expected to participate in community relation activities both as an individual and with student-athletes. This could include clinics, speaking engagements, and volunteer efforts with local organizations. The Asst Coach will also be strongly encouraged to participate in campus activities to promote the Football program and the Department of Athletics.
- Alumni Relations: The Asst Coach will be expected to establish and maintain a good relationship with the Football alumni. The Asst Coach will coordinate or assist as needed in various alumni activities and functions such as alumni games, College Alumni events, held on-campus and held in conjunction with away athletic contests.
Bachelor Degree. Football coaching experience at the collegiate level & experience assisting with fundraising; an understanding of NCAA Rules Compliance is required. Significant experience with recruiting, skill instruction as designated by the Head Coach, practice/game plan development, and administrative responsibilities pertaining to football required.
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred qualifications include a Masters Degree in a relevant field; experience coaching football within a NCAA intercollegiate program; prior coordinator experience; excellent organizational, leadership and communication skills, fiscal management; a background as a successful coach or participant; supervisory experience; a teaching background; fundraising experience.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.