Specialist in Biomedical Informatics
Open date: June 26th, 2017
Next review date: July 26th, 2017
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: August 1st, 2017
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Biomedical Informatics Lead Developer Job Description
Under the supervision of Dr. Kai Zheng, Associate Professor in the Department of Informatics and Director of the Center for Biomedical Informatics at the UC Irvine Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS), the Biomedical Informatics Lead Developer will conduct and oversee software development for online systems that support biomedical research and that advance the state of the art in biomedical informatics at UC Irvine. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining and extending previously-developed open source software systems, and for leading new biomedical informatics development projects. She or he will work primarily in (1) defining functional and architectural requirements for database-driven, web-based biomedical informatics applications; (2) designing and documenting software architecture and databases using object-oriented analysis and design techniques; and (3) implementing and QA testing planned software or software changes. The Biomedical Informatics Lead Developer will also represent ICTS in interactions with researchers and health system stakeholders to aid in planning, designing, and implementing systems for research data provisioning in partnership with the UC Irvine Health Information Services and in accord with UC Irvine policies and procedures regarding clinical data. The systems in question include personnel and work processes as well as information technology.
Salary: Range $77,808
Total Hours: 8-5, M-F
Travel: May require travel between the UC Irvine Medical Center and the UC Irvine main campus
A. Software analysis, design, and development
- Deploy and extend open source systems implemented by the UC Irvine ICTS and partner institutions;
- Supervise testing and debugging of source code as it is developed, prior to deployment to production environments;
- Identify and evaluate emerging informatics software systems and technologies that might be appropriate for incorporation into ICTS systems;
- Work with researchers to design, implement, and maintain biomedical research databases as needed;
- Work with researchers to define new requirements as needs change, and to redesign and re-implement ICTS systems in response to these requirements, as appropriate;
- Manage the on-time completion of milestones and deliverables.
B. Software implementation and maintenance
- Oversee software backups, source code control, database backups, and database consistency checking and maintenance;
- Document and maintain source code with appropriate version control in accordance with prevailing procedures for software backups and source code control;
- Oversee system administration, upgrades, and database maintenance in
accordance with best practices;
- Oversee and verify database back-up and recovery procedures, including off-site backups.
C. Documentation and follow-up
- Create and maintain user manuals, training materials, technical support and system administrator manuals;
- Oversee user training for software developed or otherwise provided by the ICTS, working with an analyst who will provide front-line user support and training.
The qualified candidate will have:
• Bachelors degree or higher in computer science or related area;
• Expert knowledge of the software development lifecycle for
• At least 3 years of work experience in developing Java-based online
• Expertise in relational database design, implementation, and maintenance;
• Working knowledge of XML and Java interfaces for manipulating XML;
• Expertise with client-side web programming, for example, using jQuery;
• Expertise with the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE);
• Expertise installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting Linux OS such as
Ubuntu, CentOS, or Red Hat.
• Working knowledge of HL-7 standards and other health
information exchange standards;
• Expertise with ETL tools, data mapping, and validation;
• Experience with Agile or alternative development methodologies;
• Experience with web development in Ruby on Rails;
• Experience implementing and managing large scale enterprise level
• Experience with professional database systems such as Oracle
and/or Microsoft SQL Server;
• Expertise with Spring and Hibernate frameworks or other development
• Experience with business intelligence tools such as Cognos,
Business Objects,Talend, or SSRS;
• Ability to lead a development team, establishing goals, and ensuring
accountability for deliverables.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Final candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3-5 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now