Assistant Director of Education - Siebel Center for Design (A1700398)
Assistant Director of Education
Siebel Center for Design
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Siebel Center for Design (SC4D) at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director of Education. The new Siebel Center for Design is one component of a larger cross-campus, multidisciplinary effort to harness the potential of design thinking and design learning in our teaching, research and engagement. Through this effort, we will channel our students' outstanding talents to develop expertise, passion and creativity toward issues and lives of consequence. Students from across campus and all fields of study will explore ideas and master skills through action-immersing, designing, making, doing.
Reporting to Director of the Siebel Center for Design, the Assistant Director of Education creates, develops, and delivers design thinking-related courses, workshops and programs for the Siebel Center for Design (SC4D) in collaboration with the Director and affiliated faculty. Areas include: course and program development, design thinking pedagogy, workshop development and delivery, faculty and student training.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist the Director in developing the overall strategic plan for courses, academic programs, and workshops for the SCD, advising the Director as needed.
- Promote leadership and creative development for SCD programs and workshops by meeting with and creating presentations for the Director, affiliated faculty, students, alumni and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate in the development and creation of design-related educational programs, curricula, and academic objectives related to SCD, and assist the Director, faculty and staff of the SCD with overall management of these programs.
- Train, coordinate, and supervise the SCD student teaching assistants and leaders.
- Serve as a resource to the SCD team by researching issues, responding to questions, and enforcing and explaining policy.
- Liaise between educational programs of the SCD and other units on campus, including degree-programs, courses, activities, and other educational programs that interact with SCD.
- Collaborate in the development of education-related course and degree proposals, materials, and programs that interact with the SCD.
- Help coordinate, draft, and prepare education-related grant proposals at SCD, in particular those that relate to course development and other activities at the SCD.
- Support educational activities on SCD-funded research by designing course, workshops, and programs among other activities.
- Develop documentation of academic programs related to the SCD.
- Promote design thinking, learning and doing programs, workshops, training to students and faculty through multiple communication channels.
- Assume additional appropriate related educational duties to further the mission of the center.
- BA or MFA in design or Bachelor's degree in design-related field.
- Two years of experience working in a higher education in programs related to design thinking and innovation with undergraduate or graduate students.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines, professional demeanor and ability to work well with designers, artists, senior executives, faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated proficiency in all forms of communication.
- Two years of experience in the creation and delivery of design-thinking related curricula and programs.
The Assistant Director of Education position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by 8/17/2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison at email@example.com or 217-300-2193.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director of Education - Siebel Center for Design (A1700398)
Open Date: 06/29/2017
Close Date: 08/17/2017
Organization Name: Siebel Center for Design