D2V Economic and Cost Analyst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Data Science to Patient Value (D2V) (cuD2V.org) is a multidisciplinary research initiative that focuses on the development, implementation, and dissemination of person-centered, high value health care through innovations in data and health systems science. D2V accomplishes this by creating an environment of collaboration and innovation in which the top minds in Data Science, Health Care Delivery and Health Services Research tackle important problems. D2V places a high priority on translation and dissemination ensuring the 'products', be they analytic methods or care pathways, have maximal impact.
The Economic and Cost Analyst is part of D2V's Patient & System Value core that aims to advance the science of value from multiple perspectives across the macro health care system. These perspectives include patients and families, providers (individuals and health systems/organizations), payers, purchasers and policy/decision makers. Traditional work on "value" such as cost-effectiveness analysis that compares incremental costs to payers relative to incremental outcome differences, which may or may not be of value to patients, is interesting from a societal perspective but is not entirely meaningful or actionable to patients, CEOs of health systems, health care payers or purchasers. Our focus is on supporting Return on Investment and Benefit-Cost Analyses from each perspective to add to our understanding of value from each perspective and sustainability of health care innovations.
As such, this position will contribute to D2V's research and evaluation efforts by performing economic evaluations that generate meaningful and actionable information for patients and families, providers, payers, purchasers and policy/decision makers. Competitive candidates will be detail-oriented, innately curious, and highly motivated to excel in a dynamic team environment.
- Review existing healthcare delivery systems and processes for alignment to economic and cost modelling requirements; when needed, propose adjustments and refinements modelling frameworks
- Under leadership of program manager, participate in all time-driven activity based costing study phases including design, administration, data cleaning, and analysis
- Identify sources and obtain data on system volumes and resource requirements to incorporate with activity based costing results to develop workload indexes and complexity-weighted, volume driven capacity models
- Develop episode of care costs based on documented requirements
- Identify sources and obtain data on revenue and input prices
- Collect observational data for activity based costing models
- Develop and implement process flows and models to integrate activity based costing models with solution planning, development, and implementation models
- Develop and implement models for return on investment and other economic analyses that produce results from multiple perspectives
- Assist stakeholders in understanding program goals, methods, and leveraging of results in what-if scenario models
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Advanced degree is required in one of the following disciplines: Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business, or related discipline with at least 2 years of experience in budget/cost/pricing analysis, business forecasting and analytics, finance, and/or management consulting roles.
- Experience to include cost accounting, financial accounting, auditing, budget analysis, process analysis
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods and modeling tools such as SAS, R, and Python
- Advanced-level ability expected in all MS Office tools (Excel, Pivot Tables, Access, VBA, PowerPoint)
The ideal candidate will have:
- a background in behavioral sciences, data analytics, quantitative analysis, microeconomics, and business management
- demonstrated ability to study, understand, and solve complex economic and business decision making using analysis tools and techniques, including statistics and data modeling
- excellent communication and presentations skills including visualizing and summarizing analytical results to broad stakeholder audiences
- the ability to partner within internal and external stakeholders
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please confirm that ALL of your materials were uploaded.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10084
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: Jun 29, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Celsey Duritsa
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00735351