Graphic Designer I
Dining Services - 163700
Is this an internal posting only?
M-F 8am-5pm overtime and weekends as necessary
Join the University of North Texas Dining Services department where fresh is "in"! All of our food is prepared fresh in our kitchens using local vendors and farms - no convenience foods.
Our Dining Services department includes a nationally acclaimed vegan cafeteria, faculty and staff meal plans, and dining halls are open to the community. All menu planning is done in-house by each kitchen's chef and fresh ice cream is made on campus. To our staff, eating local is not just an attitude, it's our way of life.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The Dining Services Admin Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a talented, driven, and creative Copywriter to help elevate our marketing to new levels. The position will play a key role in efforts to increase sales of our on-campus retail food locations, resident and commuter meal plans, and UNT Catering.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Creates written content for brochures, press releases, departmental documents, etc.
* Develops compelling concepts, headlines and copy for ads in a variety of media.
* Crafts new content & revamps existing content on our website.
* Creates engaging social media posts/campaigns and responds to customer comments.
* Writes video scripts.
* Proofreads and edits.
* Performs other duties as needed, such as assisting customers in person and over the phone.
* If employee demonstrates strong graphic design capabilities, will likely work on some design projects as time permits.
The Copywriter reports directly to the Marketing and Sales Director and works with a team of part-time and student designers. Keeps Director and team fully informed of project progress, pre-prioritizes as needed, and provides quick turnaround on projects in the queue. Must be able to grasp the "big picture" and translate that into compelling copy. Strong graphic design capability is not required but is a huge plus.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The ideal candidate will possess an Associate's Degree in related field and one year work experience in print, video, and/or electronic media production, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Understanding of the principles, equipment, software, and practices of the field of media design and production.
* Manual dexterity and physical ability to operate various items of media equipment.
* Ability to conceptualize and develop original ideas for media production.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* 1-5 years experience in copy-writing.
* A degree in communications, English, marketing, journalism or a related field is preferred.
* Strong writing portfolio.
* Excellent proofreading and editing skills.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment (i.e. meets deadlines and handle quick turn-around).
* Ability to work independently, take initiative, and be a productive member of the team.
* Ability to take creative direction as well as give constructive feedback.
* Keen eye for detail.
* Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
* Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and InDesign is a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting