Academic Advisor - Student Academic Affairs, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (Secondary Educat
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Working with the Executive Assistant Dean and other members of the SAAO advising team, the Academic Advisor assists in advising and monitoring academic progress of students. This advisor also serves as the liaison between LAS departments that offer a secondary education teaching option and the College of Education, sharing information and providing support for student advising.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as liaison between LAS departmental advisors in History, Chemistry, biology, English, Math, Physics and the College of Education, sharing information about the secondary education teaching minor and its student cohort within those LAS departments
- Support departmental advising for majors in the secondary education teaching option within History, Chemistry, biology, English, Math, and Physics
- Participates in team of core academic advisors to monitor and advise students who are not making adequate academic progress in their major, including those with low major GPAs or in shadow majors
- Participates on Late and Retroactive drop/withdrawal committee and other committees and activities of the core academic advising team
- Participates in Dean Duty Rotation for the LAS Student Academic Affairs Office and works with individual students on a walk-in basis
- Participates in academic progress review audits
- Contributes to LAS student recruitment and orientation activities, as needed
- Serves unit representative and on internal and external committees or working groups, as needed
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working independently as well as collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and assessment skills
- Knowledge of academic skills and student development issues associated with undergraduate student populations, especially those that require enhanced advising and academic skills support
- Master's Degree or graduate studies or similar demonstrated interest in issues in undergraduate education and/or liberal arts and sciences
- Demonstrated ability to work from a developmental advising perspective
- Demonstrated ability to track and assess student academic progress
- Experience advising students who are not making adequate academic progress in their major or generally
- Experience working with student transition and/or retention programs
- Experience in secondary education
- Evidence of proactive, individualized approach to supporting college students
- Excellent intercultural skills
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by July 13, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Allison Perry at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Advisor - Student Academic Affairs, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (Secondary Education Advising) (A1700400)
Open Date: 06/29/2017
Organization Name: Student Admissn Oth