Nurse Epidemiologist - Healthcare Epidemiology
Nurse Epidemiologist - Healthcare Epidemiology-1602241
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Nurse Epidemiologist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population. Assists in infection surveillance in the Hospital by observing patient's charts and laboratory reports in order to identify infections developed after admission or infections present on admission and to prevent the spread of infection within the Hospital and the community.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Nurse Epidemiologist may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
- Maintains awareness of any problem in the Hospital and hospital affiliated outpatient areas concerning surveillance of communicable diseases or any unsanitary conditions which may cause an impact on the safe operation of the institutional functions, and reports such information to the Director and Physician Hospital Epidemiologist for further investigation.
- Conducts infection surveillance in the Hospital by observing patient's charts and laboratory reports in order to identify infections developed after admission or infections present on admission and to prevent the spread of infection within the Hospital and the community.
- Submits active patient data to the Director and the Physician Hospital Epidemiologist and Infection Control Committee, to be incorporated in the mandatory monthly Healthcare Epidemiology report and for control of nosocomial infections as indicated.
- Responsible for the investigation of a hospital based and hospital affiliated ambulatory clinics exposure to communicable disease and outbreaks of epidemiologically significant pathogens in the assigned patient care area.
- Observe the general state of cleanliness, the healthcare worker skill used in practicing asepsis and isolation techniques. Report this information as well as other problems to the Director and Physician Hospital Epidemiologist for additional follow-up, as deemed necessary.
- Collects special information for use in research investigation by checking patient's charts, equipment, environment and epidemiologically significant information for use by the Physician Hospital Epidemiologist and Infection Control Committee for analysis.
- Established ongoing personal contact with the nursing staff, physicians, and patients in order to obtain data for surveillance, communicable diseases and nosocomial infections.
- Maintains liaison with community agencies and regulatory agencies to monitor discharged patients under treatment for communicable diseases.
- Provides staff orientation in regard to the Infection Control Program and Regulatory agency mandates. Conducts in-service education programs as appropriate to the area demonstrating proper aseptic and isolation techniques, and specific surveillance to promote employee education and patient safety.
- Responsible for attendance and participation by reporting surveillance, outbreak investigation data as well as other pertinent data at Infection Control Committee meetings, other designated committee meetings, and in intra-departmental in-service programs in order to contribute expertise related to healthcare epidemiology.
- Responsible for collection of data and data entry on specific Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAI) into the required National Health and Safety Network (NHSN) data base required for New York State Mandatory reporting.
- Actively participates in the design, collection, and analysis of process and outcomes data and implements selected improvement initiatives. This activity is significantly more than a ministerial duty. It requires the ICP to work with staff to define and develop data elements appropriate to performance improvement initiatives and to establish mechanisms for the collection of these data. The ICP is an integral part of the team which will analyze these data, often obtaining benchmark data from other organizations for comparison. The interpretation of data is a required skill for the incumbent.
Required: The area of Infection Control and Healthcare Epidemiology is a highly specialized field, requiring the successful candidate to be well versed in patient care practices microbiology, epidemiology, and statistics necessary for this position. A Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or an RN with a degree in a health related field required as a minimum. A successful candidate must have 3-5 year’s experience in Infection Control with a certification in Infection Control or is required to successfully complete certification within 1 year of time. An exceptionally qualified person with a Bachelor's or a Master's degree in another health related field, along with certification in Infection Control status, may also be considered.
Preferred: When all other qualifications are met, preferential consideration may be given to someone with Masters in Nursing or a Master’s in Public Health.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Nurse Epidemiologist
Job Field: Other
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Healthcare Epidemiology-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:00 AM - 4:30 PMHealthcare Epidemiology-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Jun 29, 2017
Posting End Date: Jul 29, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL4