Business Analyst for HR/Payroll ERP Solutions (BA for HR/Payroll ERP)
Position Number 998907
Position Classification Title Bus & Tech Apps Specialist
Functional Title Business Analyst for HR/Payroll ERP Solutions (BA for HR/Payroll ERP)
Position Type Staff
The Administrative Systems group of the division of Information Technology Services supports UNCG students, faculty and staff by implementing, maintaining, and supporting complex, integrated enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems. These systems support functions across academic and business units, and are used by all students, faculty and staff. The services provided by these systems, and the support rendered by Administrative Systems team members support academic and business functions such as student recruitment, admissions, curriculum management, advising, registration, billing, financial management and budgeting, purchasing, HR/Payroll, and other academic and business functions. Administrative systems responsibilities include acquisition and maintenance of software systems; in-depth systems and technical business analysis; systems and applications design; application integration; programming, testing and implementation; report writing; documentation, business process modeling, database administration and data management, and information security. Administrative Systems supports Ellucian Higher Education Banner products including Student, Finance, Financial Aid, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Position Control, General, DegreeWorks, and Advancement. Administrative Systems also supports an array of associated applications, including Automic job scheduling/management, Eprint report distribution system, Evisions Forms Fusion & IntelliCheck systems, P-Card system, Banner Workflow and document management/imaging, and other Banner-associated applications as well as middleware and database components required for proper system access and function.
The Administrative Systems group is seeking qualified candidates to consider for the HR/Payroll ERP Solutions (BA for HR/Payroll ERP).
The HR/Payroll ERP Solutions (BA for HR/Payroll ERP) is a senior technical design and implementation resource in Information Technology Services' Administrative Systems Team. The BA for HR/Payroll ERP works HR/Payroll ERP product owners, functional staff, and Information Technology Services (ITS) staff to analyze and document complex business processes, and design technical solutions in support of UNCG's HR/Payroll business activities.
The BA for HR/Payroll ERP
- Serves as senior technical planning and design resource for UNCG's Ellucian Banner's HR/Payroll environments and associated systems;
- Works closely with functional product owners from the Integrated Futures Team (UNCG's core functionally-led ERP Governance group), staff from functional units such as HR/Payroll, Finance and Budget, Travel and Expense, Grants Billing, and other UNCG units to analyze business processes and prepare detailed, actionable business requirements and use cases for use by ITS Business and Technology Specialists and Analysts in the implementation of technical solutions to support business needs;
- Develops unit, SIT, and regression testing plans and leads solutions testing;
- Assists the Integrated Futures Team's functional analysts and functional product owners in planning and executing user acceptance testing;
- Develops and maintains metrics related to solutions implementations and unit, SIT, regression, and UAT testing performance;
- Manages development and maintenance of technical solutions documentation, including (but not limited to) documentation of requirements, test procedures, quality standards, and development/integration activities;
- Serves as a senior technical resource for ITS' Administrative Systems Team, and as one of two lead technical resources in UNCG's cross functional HR/Payroll ERP Portfolio Team (along with the Business Analyst for Finance and Budget ERP Solutions).
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Engineering, Math or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and two (2) years of experience in Business Application Consulting or Development; or Bachelor's Degree with some computer coursework from an appropriately accredited institution and three (3) years of experience in Business Application Consulting or Development; or Associate's Degree in Computer Programming and three (3) years of experience in Application Consulting or Development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Journey level requires an additional one (1) year of experience
- Advanced level requires an additional two (2) years of experience
As a senior technical resource responsible for design of HR/Payroll ERP solutions in an Ellucian Banner environment, the BA for HR/Payroll ERP needs to have:
- At least five years technical and operational experience with Ellucian Banner HR/Payroll applications and must have a strong foundation with Banner HR/Payroll baseline functionality, including experience with Banner HR, Position Management and Position Control, Time Entry, Employment and Compensation Administration, and Applicant Tracking.
- Development experience in Banner ERP using SQL, PL/SQL, Java, HTML, and XML;
- A proven record developing and documenting business requirements, design specifications, use cases, and test cases (preferably including business process modeling experience using Agile Modeling and/or BMPL);
- The strong interpersonal and verbal communications skills required to effectively lead both functional stakeholders (including senior university leaders) and technical professionals in building business requirements, use cases, and solutions testing;
- Strong writing communication skills.
UNCG's HR/Payrll ERP environment also includes a number of third party applications integrated with Ellucian Banner. While the BA for HR/Finance ERP may not be familiar with all these applications, UNCG prefers the incumbent in this position to have some experience or familiarity with some or all of these applications:
- Banner Workflow;
- Document management and imaging (BDMS, Perceptive Content/ImageNow, or other Ellucian partner);
- Reporting software (WebFOCUS, Argos, Cognos, Tableau, Rapid Insight, or other)
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Recruitment Range $92,000 - $110,000
Org #-Department Information Technology Services - 23101
Work Hours of Position 8:00 A.M. - 5 P.M., Monday - Friday, University Work Days, Other Times On Occasion
Job Family Information Technology
Band BT Applications Specialist
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
1. Technical Knowledge
Extensive knowledge to provide system administration duties, system analysis and programming, and extensive knowledge of relational databases and business enterprise systems. Extensive knowledge of departmental operating systems and systems hardware utilized across the organization. Extensive knowledge of specific computer environments and a broad range of programming languages with ability to learn emerging programming languages. A demonstrated technical understanding of the business process mandated by administrative applications and their interfacing software and systems. Extensive knowledge of principles and concepts behind applications analysis, design analysis, project planning, resource estimates, thorough testing and debugging, implementation and documentation.
2. Technical Solutions development
Demonstrates substantial knowledge of other work specialties with the ability to integrate this knowledge base to achieve solutions to problems of high complexity.
3. Project Management
Ability to function as the top-level technical contributor in one or more of the most highly specialized phases of applications systems analysis and programming.
Understands the market and industry that have an impact on the state's technological business. Ability to provide expertise and consulting to committees, boards and lower level technical analyst/specialist.
Open Date 06/29/2017
Close Date 07/21/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 83
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * Do you have at least five years technical and operational experience with Ellucian Banner HR/Payroll systems?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you worked in a Banner 9 environment?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience using Agile Modeling and/or BPML for gathering technical requirements?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you developed applications in Java?
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu