Plumber, Licensed (Zone 1)
The University of Miami Facilities Management Department is seeking a licensed journeyman Plumber. This position maintains the physical assets of the University in as-new condition under the guidance of Facilities Administration.
This is a skilled position in the maintenance and repair of the Coral Gables campus buildings, assets, and facilities. Must have strong leadership and communication skills (oral and written instruction in English), with a positive "can do" attitude. The candidate would receive work orders from the Facilities Work Control department and/or the Sr. Manager to be processed as required to keep the campus secure and operational.
This position requires skilled journeyman work in the planning, scheduling, organizing of work assignments, equipment, and materials, provided in the maintenance of facilities. This includes all phases of plumbing, piping, steam fitting and equipment repair work including construction, alteration, and maintenance of buildings. Provides information for records, files, logs, time sheets, vacation schedules, and component drawings. This work requires teamwork, cooperation, and direct contact with customers, Facilities Management personnel, and contractors. Furthermore, this position interfaces with code inspectors and regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all aspects of regulations and compliance in University area installations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Works in compliance with the Facilities Maintenance Program.
2. Performs preventative maintenance program functions in a timely and thorough manner.
3. Complies with all policies and procedures of the University of Miami. Adheres to all safety and environmental regulations.
4. Keeps thorough and up to date records on plumbing work throughout the University.
5. Provides all necessary maintenance and operations information in a timely manner.
6. Requests training as needed in the areas of responsibility.
7. Trains others and performs work on large piping, building and site systems, as required for operations.
8. Performs work on large systems as required for operations.
9. Keeps to schedule and aids in the development of efficient planning.
10. Is responsible for making accurate estimates, and completing work within the costs estimated.
11. Assures safety of materials and tools supplied.
12. Plans, lays out, and performs work and special projects.
13. Reads and works from prints, sketches, and diagrams. Makes estimates and is responsible for controlling and reporting costs for each work effort.
14. Tasks to be performed, but not limited to, are: work on mechanical; plumbing; piping, steam fitting; lay out and explanation of work to be done; learn all new techniques; perform work to compliance to codes and workmanship standards; participates in physical aspects of any work as needed; works with inspectors, administrators, coworkers in a team approach; can be a technical advisor to Facilities Design and Construction.
15. Maintains a neat and orderly work area, safeguards tools, spare parts, and equipment and university vehicle.
16. Must be computer skilled to access the maintenance management system.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Senior Manager, Facilities & Operations and/or designee.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must have a certified journeyman license with five years of proven performance in the industry.
3. Good manual dexterity and ability to follow detailed directions. Sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet.
4. Position is essential personnel. Must be able to perform On-call, shift work, to respond to after- hour’s emergency call-in, to work with other crafts and work in environments out of normal duties as needed.
5. Willing to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed) and/or work from heights and in areas where climbing is required.
6. Able to operate power equipment.
7. Must have good leadership skills and lead by example.
8. Must have excellent organizational skills.
9. Complies with and enforces the policies and procedures of Facilities Management; complies with and enforces all safety rules and requirements.
10. Demonstrated skill in understanding and complying with verbal and written communications in English.
11. Must have strong verbal and written English communication skills, with ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and problem solving.
12. Ability to work as part of a team, as directed by the management of Facilities Management to provide customer service and meet the changing needs of the University community.
13. Possess a valid Florida drivers’ license, be able to meet the insurance requirements of the University of Miami, and have a good driving record.
14. Must have the ability to read blue prints, do material take-off calculations, accurate cost estimating, maintain time schedules, and work with a varied and flexible schedule.
15. Proven skill in customer relations, techniques, and cooperation with University community and customers.
16. Must have good computer skills to use computerized maintenance management program or ability to learn within six months.
17. Proven emphasis on teamwork, cooperation, customer relations and leadership in problem solving.
18. Must have excellent people skills in order to build positive relationship with staff, customers and stakeholders.
19. Working knowledge of sanitary systems and components, construction and operation of boilers, operation and repair of plumbing components, and knowledge of piping and steam
20. Must follow and support University DIRECCT values and behaviors and the departmental mission statements and core values below:
• Integrity and Ethical Behavior,
• Respect for coworkers, associates, customers and University community.
• High level of customer service and satisfaction.
21. Must have sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability (i.e. to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet). This includes but is not limited to handling equipment for specialist crafts, construction materials, carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors/power equipment, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, etc.
Must be able to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed); work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet. An outline and frequency of these tasks is outlined below:
Physical Abilities: Amount of time spent in the following activities:
A. Lifting 1. Sedentary 10 lbs maximum frequent
2. Light 20 lbs maximum frequent
3. Medium 50 lbs maximum frequent
4. Heavy 100 lbs maximum some
5. Very Heavy 100 lbs plus infrequent
B. Stooping frequent K. Pulling frequent
C. Kneeling frequent L. Climbing frequent
D. Crouching some M. Balancing frequent
E. Crawling infrequent N. Standing constant
F. Reaching constant O. Walking constant
G. Handling constant P. Twisting constant
H. Sitting frequent Q. Bending constant
I. Feeling constant R. Abnormal
J. Pushing frequent Posture someApply online. Search for position #P100008690
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us! ]]>