Veterinary Research Specialist - Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (A1700395)
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA CHAMPAIGN
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Veterinary Research Specialist
INTRODUCTION: The University of Illinois - College of Veterinary Medicine is a leader in teaching, research, public service and engagement. The College performs a pivotal role in basic and translational biological and medical sciences. The UIUC's Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory services are integral in problem solving for today's veterinarians and discovery for tomorrow's animal and human health applications. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for the position of Veterinary Research Specialist to conduct the proper microbiological testing of meat samples and other specimens submitted to Food Safety and Clinical Microbiology sections.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilize proper aseptic technique and adhere to BL-2 and general lab safety standards
- Perform culture, isolation and identification of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and fungi
- Perform culture and PCR identification of foodborne pathogens
- Utilize automated micro-identification equipment (Biolog®, Sensititre®, Vitek®)
- Utilize MALDI-TOF® mass spectrometry for identification
- Set-up and read antimicrobial susceptibilities (MIC and Kirby Bauer formats)
- Perform Micro-agglutination titers for Leptospira serology, and other immunological assays
- Adhere to Quality Assurance and Control standards. Contribute to SOPs
- Perform PCR, rPCR and rRT-PCR assays for detection of animal pathogens or virulence factors
- Preparation of some media and reagents, autoclaving waste, disinfection
- Enter data into VADDS® LIMS for reporting results to veterinary clients
- Assist with data compilation and analysis for the purpose of monitoring antimicrobial susceptibility trends, pathogen
- emergence, annual reporting, etc. Excel® and statistics software
- Assist with inventory, scheduling, equipment maintenance and other duties integral to laboratory functions
MINIMAL QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a Bachelor's Degree in Life Sciences field. A Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Molecular and Cellular Biology or Animal Sciences is preferred. College-level course experience in Bacteriology and Molecular Biology is also preferred. Experience working in a life sciences laboratory is required. Minimal bench microbiology skills, including plating and streaking for isolation, Gram stains, aseptic transfers and media/reagent preparation is preferred. Computer skills in Microsoft Office programs are also preferred.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
APPOINTMENT STATUS: This is a regular, full-time (100%) academic professional position (12 month, non-tenure tract). The laboratory operates 365 days/year and participation in a rotating weekend and holiday schedules is expected.
PROPOSED STARTING DATE: At the conclusion of the search.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by July 17, 2017. Interested applicants are invited to apply online at http://go.illinois.edu/Vet_Res_Spec_VDL. Applications should include a cover letter stating career goals and interests, curriculum vitae, and names including contact information for three or more references. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date but no hiring decisions will be made until after the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Questions should be directed to:
Dr. Carol Maddox
College of Veterinary Medicine
2001 S. Lincoln Avenue
Urbana, IL 61802
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Veterinary Medicine
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Veterinary Research Specialist - Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (A1700395)
Open Date: 06/28/2017
Close Date: 07/17/2017
Organization Name: Veterinary Diagnostic Lab