(Clinical) Adjunct Nursing Instructor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking applications for a (Clinical) Adjunct Nursing Instructor
Responsible for teaching students in a small group instructional clinical setting, utilizing current and multimodal delivery and evaluation of knowledge, techniques, and skills. Responsible for the delivery of content in accordance with student and client needs and applicable standards of nursing practice, also responsible for the assessment of applied knowledge, techniques, and skills in clinical practice. Work effectively with lead faculty, administrators, and staff in a rapidly changing team environment. Support and contribute to diversity and student success initiatives of the college. Remain current in the subject area and teaching methodologies by incorporating relevant safety, quality, and evidenced-based practice recommendations. Some evenings or weekends may be required depending on the clinical sites.
• Participates in department and discipline curriculum activities when time permits.
• Orient students to Simulation Lab and clinical site and demonstrate the proper procedure.
• Develops plans that promote the development of higher-order thinking skills in the instructional process.
• Supports the academic area and college through other work normally expected of adjunct faculty members.
• Serves as a role model of professional nursing in the practice setting.
• Assist lead faculty in ensuring all items needed to teach lab class are available and ready for use.
• Provide simulation lab instructions as recommended by lead faculty.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Reviews orientation content.
• Advises students on curriculum, academic programs, employment and career goals, and other matters as appropriate.
• Responds to requests by discipline leaders, department heads, committee chairs and lead faculty in a timely and appropriate manner.
• Consistently meets instructional schedule and other assignments and commitments in support of the college.
• Treats all members of the college community with dignity and respect.
• Works through established channels to resolve problems.
• Participates in college and discipline planning and improvement activities as requested.
• Formally upholds all college policies.
• Upholds and enforces the Student and Nurses Code of Conduct.
• Develops and nurtures positive professional relationships with program clinical partners and staff.
INSTRUCTION AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH:
• Provides motivation to learn via thorough planning, facilitating an appropriate climate for learning.
• Provides remediation as deemed appropriate and possible.
• Coaches, mentors, teaches, and evaluate students as assigned according to all course objectives.
• Conveys the goals and outcomes of the course; reflects curriculum adopted by the discipline for the course and establishes and communicates challenging expectations for students.
• Must have earned a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing, preferably a Master’s degree in Nursing some experience in simulation is preferred. Must possess excellent communication skills.
• Two years’ experience- medical surgical nursing in an acute care facility.
• Unencumbered Michigan Nursing License
• Commitment to life-long learning and professional development, willingness to continue education and cooperative attitude that provides innovation and personal growth.
• Professional manner and attire.
• Demonstrate motivational and problem-solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the college.
• BLS Certification
• Serves as a role model of good written and oral communication skills and management skills
• Possesses a positive attitude; able to see good in self and others.
• Shows flexibility including the acceptance of and willingness to change; sees an opportunity for growth.
• Knows and acknowledges personal limits.
• Displays self-discipline and a strong work ethic.
• Accepts responsibility for professional and personal growth.
• Demonstrates commitment to be a productive and supportive member of the college community.
• Successfully organizes, executes and follows up on projects; sets specific objectives and measures to achieve results.
• Accepts criticism gracefully and uses it as an opportunity for growth.
• Handles conflict effectively.
• Inspires others; sets an example of professionalism both within the college and the community.
• Leads and/or follows as circumstances require.
All applicants must demonstrate the ability to promote active and collaborative learning through a variety of teaching methods, as well as relate to students. Excellent organization and communication skills as well as the demonstrated use of instructional technology are required.
Posting Number 112
Job Category Adjunct
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae