(Health Services) Adjunct Instructor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking applications for a (Health Services) Adjunct Instructor
This position teaches courses within the health careers discipline to a diverse student population. Courses taught normally are on the main Dowagiac Campus, some may be at the Niles Campus. Instructors are responsible for promoting an effective learning environment for students and successfully achieving learning outcomes for assigned courses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Instructional preparation
• Assessment of student performance
• Advises and assists in planning, developing, implementing, evaluating and documenting changes in the program curriculum and school policies.
• Maintains the professional practice knowledge base needed to instruct learners in contemporary nursing practice.
• Serves as a professional role model in the practice setting.
• Attend orientations, staff meetings and faculty meetings as requested.
• Assists with the on-going review and development of curricula in the department and make suggestions per policy.
• Ensure students are aware of the competencies and expectations necessary for all objectives in the syllabi.
• Design and carryout a lesson plan for each class taught that recognizes students’ abilities, learning styles
• Provide accommodations for individual student differences
• Analyze outward signs of problems that students may have that inhibit their achievement and take appropriate action.
• Identify at-risk students and advise accordingly
• Provide ongoing student advisement and academic counseling
• BSN Prepared Nurse or Bachelors Degree in a Health Specialty Field
• MSN Prepared Nurse or Masters in a Health Specialty Field
• Teaching Experience
• Commitment to life-long learning and professional development, willingness to continue education and cooperative attitude that provides innovation and personal growth.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, faculty, staff, and others while maintaining appropriate confidentiality
• Demonstrated motivational and problem-solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the college.
All applicants must demonstrate the ability to promote active and collaborative learning through a variety of teaching methods, as well as relate to students. Excellent organization and communication skills as well as the demonstrated use of instructional technology are required.
Posting Number 113
Job Category Adjunct
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae