Dental Care II
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Dental Medicine
Dental Care II
Position #670749 - Requisition 10077
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The purpose of this full-time, state classified Dental Care II position is to provide four-handed chair side dental assistance in all specialized dentistry (Surgical, Periodontics, Restorative, Endodontics) to the Oral Surgery and Emergency Clinics, undergraduate dental students and faculty. Responsibilities include patient preparation and positioning, clinical area preparation, use of sterile techniques and performing infection control procedures. In addition, this position will maintain patient data and records, perform and develop dental radiographs, and provide demonstration and instruction in the assigned areas of technical dentistry practices when assisting the dental students.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performs dental intraoral and extraoral radiographs using appropriate technique, x-ray equipment and safety equipment. Develops, mounts and identifies radiographic films.
- Troubleshoots scanner to make sure films are being developed at the highest quality.
- Prepares specialized instrument set-ups for residents, undergraduate students & faculty.
- Inspects appropriate instrument/tools for good working condition.
- Performs appropriate aseptic and sterilization techniques.
- Assists Oral Surgery and Emergency Clinic faculty.
- Assists in teaching of undergraduate students in all specialized areas of four-handed dentistry. Patient preparation & positioning; clinical area preparation for the treatment of patients.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $2,855 - $3,443 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
Two (2) years of dental assisting experience. Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
SUBSTITUTION: Successful completion of an accredited dental assisting program may substitute for one year of experience. NOTE: If exercising the education substitution, applicants MUST attach a copy of their dental assisting certificate to their application materials no later than the closing date listed in the announcement.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess current valid CPR and/or BLS certification. Proof of certification MUST be attached to application materials no later than the closing date listed in the announcement. Failure to do so may prevent you from competing in subsequent measures used to arrive at a top group of applicants.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Must be willing and able to exert up to 20 lbs. on occasion.
• Must be willing and able to crouch and stoop on occasion.
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment Experience working with multiple doctors.
• Experience performing appropriate aseptic and sterilization techniques.
• Experience working with Oral Surgeons
• Experience working in an Oral Surgery Office, Emergency Clinic, Periodontic and/or Endodontic Office
COMPETENCIES / KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with a wide variety of individuals
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in decision making
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong oral communication skills
• Knowledge of dental terminology and instrumentation
• Knowledge of current dental materials, tools and instruments, and proper use and technique
• Ability to demonstrate a high level, knowledge, and proficiency in all phases of dental assisting
• Familiarity with OSHA and HIPAA guidelines
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until July 19, 2017.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20432 - SDM-Dental Clinical Operations
Posting Date: Jun 27, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 19, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Koehmstedt
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00670749