Software Systems Engineer
- Support the Chief Software Engineer, Chief Technical Officer and the Executive Director of the Systems Engineering Research Center (SERC)
- Initiate and deliver technology evaluations and recommendations
- Design and oversee implementation of SERC end-to-end integrated systems
- Maintain working relationships with Stevens IT department
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of SERC's technologies and architectures
- Develop and enforce best practices for master data management and integration of SERC endeavors.
- Design and Develop quality software deliverables
- Deliver requisite program documentation including technical program charters, schedules requirements, specifications, design documents and testing strategies
- Understanding, implementation and management of SERC technical matters (internal technical activities, technical management of design and development teams, infrastructure, planning, designing, implementation and architectural processes)
- Technical management of multiple and simultaneous software development project teams from concept through product deliverables
- Direct SERC subordinate engineering employees through SERC technical initiatives and development projects
- Ability to create project schedules and to complete projects based on agreed upon schedules
- Technical project management including project creation, architecture, interviewing, hiring, technical & administrative supervision and training of SERC Engineering employees.
- Project coordination, implementation, networking and technical management of the SERC Computing Cluster
- Manage technical efforts in software design and development projects
- Plan and maintain all technical aspects of the Stevens CCSE Lab
- Provide periodic technical status and reports to the SERC Chief Software Engineer, Chief Technical Officer and the Executive Director.
CANDIDATE COMPETENCIES/KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in systems, electrical, computer or computer science / software engineering with at least 7 years' experience required; advanced degree is an advantage.
- Prior experience with demonstrated results in a research and/or a design & development environment
- Ability to architect and design object oriented reusable software and systems
- Working knowledge of systems and software engineering with the ability to produce innovative results oriented ideas, solutions and designs in support of SERC strategic initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage technical staff and interface successfully with other university business functions
- Project management, budget analysis and cost containment
- Ability to create design diagrams and documentation
- Master's degree in systems, electrical, computer or software engineering
- In depth understanding and experience with complex systems related to software, hardware and systems engineering
- Working knowledge of networking and computer engineering
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to less technical persons and to develop successful working relationships with team members
- Superb time management skills
- Ability to coordinate a large number of complex tasks and reprioritize as needed
- Ability to maximize the effectiveness of people, processes and systems
- Ability to lead technical efforts and communications
- Knowledge of High Performance Computing (HPC) systems
- Highly self-motivated individual with results oriented perspective
- Initiative and intellectual curiosity
- This position requires access to information that may be subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license. As a result, US citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence) is required.
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police