Executive Director Accounting
Responsible for maintaining all functions of the General ledger, according to GAAP and GASB; ensure that all Accounts Payable vendor payments are accurately and timely processed; ensure all grants are properly accounted for; provide guidance, direction and enforced adherence to the Uniform Guidance and State of Texas Single Audit, as well as in accordance with GAAP and GASB.
Responsible for the design, execution and effectiveness of a system of internal controls which provides reasonable assurance that operations are effectives and efficient, assets are safeguarded, financial information is reliable and compliant with applicable law, regulation, policies and procedures.
Manages Human Resources activities for direct reports in regards to: recruiting and selection; hiring and termination, training, development, mentoring, counseling, and performance evaluations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assure that the fiscal activity of HCCS, including Accounts Payable (AP), General Ledger (GL), Grants, account transactions are in accordance with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Uniform Guidance and State of Texas Single Audit, while adhering to all HCCS accounting policies and procedures and state reporting requirements;
- Provide leadership to all departments involved in the financial process including interfacing with budget authorities and management on all levels, regarding all AP, GL, and Grant matters;
- Prepare monthly reporting of the financial position of the college, AFR reporting, CAFR reporting, accurate/proper postings of HCC's physical assets, etc.;
- Direct Grants Accounting on the financial compliance of all agreements and establish business processes such that all agreements comply with the grant;
- Act as lead contact on PeopleSoft finance implementations;
- Direct all day to day functions of the GL unit, AP unit, and Grants, including workload assignment, staff supervision, transaction posting approvals, staff supervision, year-end close, oversight of internal and external audits and management of Accounting staff matters;
- Provide staff development and encouragement for supervisors and managers in the GL, AP, and Grants units through aid in resolving complex technical accounting matters so that business processes are consistent and encouraging goal setting to improve productivity;
- Identify expense coding problems and train in proper coding procedures; and
- Review and evaluate GL, AP, and Grants system processes for continuous improvement and interact with IT to create improved mechanization of processes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or other business related field is required.
Master's degree in Finance, Accounting or other business related field, MBA, CPA, or CMA is preferred.
Seven (7) years management and supervisory experience in Accounting required, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of Fund Accounting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability in working in a complex multi-entity accounting environment, interfacing with all levels of an organization, internally and externally;
- Ability to identify and resolve complex technical accounting and financial matters relative to the general ledger, accounts payable and capital projects;
- Sound decision-making skills on accounting and fiscal activity that could affect HCCS' institutional credibility and its ability to obtain funds;
- Ability to operate the department and resolve fiscal issues with minimal supervision;
- Experience in preparing financial statements as promulgated by GASB; and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, being able to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.