Institutional Review Board Coordinator - Research & Grants
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
Provides administrative and technical support to the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Collaborates with the Director of the Office of Research and Grants, the Research Integrity Officer, and IRB Chair. Serves as Administrator of the IRB for the university.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience.
- At least two years of experience coordinating an IRB is preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Keeps current with governing and guiding documents and publications for the protection of human subjects, including the Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR 46), Guidance from Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP), and regulations generally referred to as the Revised Common Rule.
- Maintains resources for information and education regarding IRB issues.
- Holds current Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) training for protection of human subjects, or will complete this training upon employment. The certification must be renewed every three years.
- Attends a Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) or similar conference at least annually as budget allows. Makes arrangements for the IRB Chair, Research Integrity Officer (RIO), and Executive Director of Research and Grants or others to attend as they are able and as determined by the Executive Director and RIO.
- Coordinates all IRB applications through the IRBManager online portal and assists faculty, staff, and students in the submission process with substantive and technical questions by phone, email, and in person as needed.
- Acts as a liaison between IRB members and researchers to assure compliance with regulatory and institutional requirements in the application and renewal procedures. This role could include presenting occasional workshops on IRBManager application and workflow procedures and educational sessions on best practices and compliance issues when doing research that involves human subjects.
- Screens submissions for the proper level of review; contacts applicants to correct and complete applications, and requests any additional documents as needed.
- Communicates with the IRBManager software company for troubleshooting and adding to or revising the online program as needed.
- Proactively edits selective parts of the IRBManager online portal system that can be accessed directly by APU IRB administrative personnel with the goal of improving clarity, reducing user errors, and enhancing the professional look of the user interface.
- Prepares IRB meeting agendas and completes minutes using the IRBManager system.
- Corresponds with researchers not affiliated with APU who would like to conduct research at APU. Facilitates process with the RIO and External Research Review Committee for approval to apply to APU's IRB.
- Meets with the IRB Chair and Executive Director of Research and Grants and RIO regularly to discuss research situations and topics that need immediate attention.
- Researches information from NIH, OHRP, and other regulatory bodies as well as best practices from other institutions regarding topics of interest and areas of challenge in the protection of human subjects in research.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.