Coordinator of Civic Engagement Programming at Sewanee: The University of the South
The Office of Civic Engagement at Sewanee: The University of the South seeks a strong candidate, at the beginning or intermediate level, to develop and implement:
innovative programming for students' engagement with and reflection on social justice issues; and
curriculum, support programs, and assessments in collaboration with office staff.
Offering a vibrant, collegial work environment in a rapidly growing program, grounded in long-term community partnerships, Sewanee's Office of Civic Engagement supports a wide range of initiatives, including:
two service internship programs (Bonner, Canale)
domestic and international break trips
a nineteen-member AmeriCorps VISTA site
community engagement classes
a Certificate in Civic and Global Leadership, and
multifaceted, emerging democratic engagement initiatives.
Primary Function: The primary role of this position is to support civic engagement programs and work with directors to enhance student programming.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develop and implement student programming for engagement and reflection on social justice issues in office activities.
2. Work with the Assistant Director to design curriculum for, and support of organization and assessment of Service Internships.
3. Work with the Senior Associate Director to design curriculum for, and support of organization and assessment of the VISTA program.
4. Work with the Associate Director to design curriculum for, and support of organization and assessment of Outreach rips.
5. Lead one Outreach trip.
6. Serve as volunteer student service and Greek system organization service advisor, advisor to the Community Engagement House, and liaison to the Office of Student Life.
7. Collaborate with Office Directors to develop use of Orgsync, student organization service computer tracking platform.
8. Collaborate with Office Directors to design and implement program assessment.
9. Collaborate with Office Directors to develop cycle of Office programming.
Education: Bachelors required, Masters desirable
Experience: Some experience working with student civic engagement programs and/or mentoring students is required, and program development and assessment desirable.
Working Environment: Primarily office work, with evening, weekend work at home at key points during the semester, as well as substantial field work during two 10-day long break trips.
University Information: The University of the South comprises a well-regarded College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a distinguished School of Theology. It is an institution of the Episcopal Church that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. The University is located on a striking, 13,000-acre campus on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau.
EEO Statement: The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.