Dean, Health & Human Development/Intercollegiate Athletics
Dean, Health & Human Development/Intercollegiate Athletics
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 7/23/2017
West Valley College, a Bay Area leader in transfer, degree, and career programs, is searching for a visionary leader to serve as Dean to guide our Health and Human Development/Intercollegiate Athletics Program. With this new administrative position, the college endeavors to build on the strengths of our outstanding campus facilities, strong academic reputation, and committed faculty and coaches to establish the premier athletics and kinesiology brand in Northern California.
Pursuant to our Educational and Facilities Master Plan, the college is committed to expanding its community reach and further improving our already strong fields, facilities and teams, enhancing our kinesiology and wellness programs, and expanding our curriculum across the health and human development spectrum.
The Dean will build collaborative external and internal relationships in order to help develop our students' minds and bodies and ensure the appropriate balance between academics and athletics. The college benefits from a strong alumni and giving community that has collaborated at record levels in order to foster a well-rounded educational experience for our students and provide greater resources for our faculty.
Reporting directly to the college president, the Dean will be a member of the cabinet and will be provided institutional support and resources necessary to achieve academic and athletic excellence.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of Fall 2017. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is an Educational Administrator and part of the Administrative employee unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $125,345-$133,495 annually (Administrative Salary Schedule, Range 25, Steps A-C).
- Additional compensation: $1,500 for doctorate added to base salary annually, to be prorated on a monthly basis.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (25 days after 5 years).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Professional development and renewal leave.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalSTRS retirement.
NOTE: The Board of Trustees has approved a 5% increase to this salary schedule, which will be implemented in September 2017.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in education or a field related to specific area of assignment.
3. Five years of increasingly responsible experience in instruction at a college level; including two years of administrative and management responsibility.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
The new Dean will represent Health and Human Development and Intercollegiate Athletics via:
ADVOCACY AND LEADERSHIP
- Provide leadership, support and direction to all members of the program, while inspiring vision, creativity, and integrity necessary to carry out its mission, goals, and objectives.
- Work collaboratively within and outside of the school and college to foster innovative curriculum and create infrastructure necessary for the success of programs.
- Coordinate and facilitate recruitment of faculty and staff.
- Develop processes for collection of data pertaining to workforce development and success rates, employment, labor statistics, and preparation of statistical reports for submission to the State.
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND RECRUITING
- Develop and implement a coordinated outreach, marketing, and public relations process and plan for the athletics, health care technology and education, kinesiology, and nutrition departments.
- Maintain positive and effective public relations with the larger community.
- Oversee the process of developing, implementing and maintaining a significant presence on the web.
- Serve as the contact for the school and provide leadership in developing strong ties with business, industry, and educational institutions.
FUNDRAISING AND RESOURCE PROCUREMENT
- Develop resources from internal and external sources, including initiating, coordinating, and supporting efforts to secure grants and additional funding for academic programs, facilities, and sports teams.
- Engage in fiscal planning and budgeting, allocating resources to all departments and sports within the program.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.