Associate Vice President for Development
Saint Michael's College delivers a compelling, world-class education in a beautiful Vermont setting. Our connected community allows students to form close relationships with each other and accomplished faculty and staff members, providing an ideal learning environment where they have the space and support to challenge themselves and their peers. As a fully residential college located minutes from Burlington, one of the country's top-rated college towns, Saint Michael's offers an unparalleled mix of academic, spiritual, cultural, service and wilderness experiences. Saint Michael's is among the elite ranks of only 283 colleges and universities nationwide allowed to host a Phi Beta Kappa national honor society chapter on campus, making it clear why Newsweek magazine labeled the college a "hidden treasure" that "deserves more national recognition." The College is included in the Princeton Review's Best 379 Colleges, earning a spot on the Green College Honor Roll for demonstrating a strong commitment to sustainability. Surrounded by the beautiful Green Mountains and Lake Champlain, and only 3.5 hours from Boston and 1.5 hours from Montreal, the area offers abundant recreational and cultural opportunities. To learn more, visit smcvt.edu.Job Description:
The Associate Vice President for Development reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and has responsibility for managing the fundraising staff that will design and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, and solicit financial support from various constituents. The Associate Vice President for Development will be responsible for managing the day to day activities and for the implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan having clearly defined strategies with metrics and goals, gift tables, prospect development, reporting and timelines to meet College priorities. This position will work collaboratively with the new vice president for institutional advancement to partner with key individuals from across the College to direct and inspire a team of front-line fundraisers to support Saint Michael's College.
- Serves as a leader and role model in carrying out the mission of Saint Michael's College and Institutional Advancement.
- Works collaboratively to establish goals and oversee the implementation of fundraising plans, strategies and tactics for the full range of Development/Annual Giving/Stewardship programs.
- Responsible for the hiring, managing, motivating, evaluating, and mentoring of direct reports.
- Collaborates with advancement team members to assist with prospect identification, solicitation, and stewardship activities to individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Works collaboratively with the entire campus community to create an increased emphasis on a culture of philanthropy among alumni, students and parents.
- Serves on the Vice President for Advancement's management team; works with the VP/Advancement to oversee the implementation of the focused campaigns.
- Works with Vice President on Presidential and Principal Gift Prospects and Donors to develop strategy and appropriate follow-up.
- Works collaboratively with all departments with regard to communication messaging across the department aligned with College priorities.
- Prepares proposals for gift solicitations that may include major, planned and annual fund gift components. Focuses on securing support for campus-wide priorities/initiatives.
- Develops strong relationships with prospective donors, moving them through the cultivation cycle from identification through solicitation and stewardship.
- Oversees the prospect management and tracking of fundraising initiatives to ensure the creation of a pipeline of donors who are providing annual, major, and principal gifts to support the College.
- Provides leadership, management, evaluation and mentoring to these areas and efforts are coordinated to maximize philanthropic support for Saint Michael's.
- Works together collaboratively with the team, focusing on strengthening existing relationships and building new ones with Saint Michael's 26,000 alumni, parents, and friends.
- The Development, Annual Giving and Stewardship team are charged with increasing new gifts and pledges while working toward significantly increasing the current alumni participation rate of 20%.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k), generous paid time off, employee and dependent tuition benefits, and discounted gym membership.
For full job description click here.Additional Information:
Saint Michael's College, inspired by our Edmundite Catholic mission, is committed to diversity and inclusion across our campus community. We are committed to attracting and supporting faculty and staff that fully represent the racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity of the nation, and we actively seek applications from underrepresented groups. Applicants are invited to include in their cover letter and other documents information about how they may contribute to our goal through their research, teaching and/or service.Application Instructions:
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on Apply Now button:
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for 3 references (reference letters may be requested of finalists at a later stage)
Review of applications will begin on July 15 and continue until position is filled.
No phone calls, emails or walk-ins please.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Communication, Public Relations or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of successful and diverse fundraising experience with 3-5 years of supervisory experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Higher Education experience preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior campaign experience.
- An experienced advancement professional who is highly regarded as a manager, leader and coach and a professional who is respected for consistently making a contribution and difference.
- Shows a steadfast commitment to participating as a member of a fully integrated outreach and development team.
- Has proven ability to successfully cultivate, solicit and close five and six figure gifts.
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background and driving record check.