Assistant Director of Residential Life
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Residential Services
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Jun 27, '17
The Assistant Director of Residential Life is a 12-month live-in position. The Assistant Director of Residential Life provides supervision and for four to five live-in residence directors. Reporting directly to the Senior Director for Residential Services, the Assistant Director of Residential Life provides administrative and management oversight of all facets of on-campus student housing and residential programs, including operation of the residential facilities in their areas, overall student development programs and will serve as part of an emergency on-duty rotation. The Assistant Director of Residential Life is responsible for the training, supervision, and evaluation of residence directors and resident assistants in their areas of campus. The Assistant Director will assist in development and delivery of trainings in all aspects of professional and student staff training including emergency response, conflict resolution, programming, and community facilitation. They will provide leadership for the Residence Hall Association and other Residence Life committees as assigned. The Assistant Director will lead in the development, delivery and management of the residential curriculum including, living learning communities, residential co-curricular event planning and education, in-service training and student success efforts.
- Bachelor's degree with curricular content relevant to the position sought.
- At least 3 years of experience directly related to higher education, emphasis on residential life or other related support services.
- Experience with, program development and design, residential curriculums, living learning communities, and student success initiatives.
- Experience leading professional teams or programs in higher education.
- Experience with leading selection and training of both professional and student staff.
- Experience with data management systems.
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated collaborative and coordination skills.
- Excellent communicator in both oral and written communication.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, Higher Education Leadership, Organizational Leadership, Public Administration, Counseling or another related field required.
- Experience with use of Banner (data management system).
- Established affiliation with National Residence Hall Honorary and/or professional residence hall associations.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a letter of interest and resume.