Part-Time Buildings & Grounds
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan, is seeking a part-time Buildings & Grounds team member.
The part-time Building & Grounds Maintenance position is responsible for highly diversified duties involving college upkeep including grounds, buildings and equipment safely and productively to maintain of the site’s business goal and objectives.
Some of the essential duties and responsibilities are:
• Read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
• Diagnose problems, replace or repair parts, test and make adjustments.
• Perform regular preventive maintenance on machines, equipment and plant facilities.
• Use of a variety of hand and power equipment including chain saw, push mowers, snow blowers, trimmers, edger, rake and shovel etc. As well as, electric meters and material handling equipment including fork lift, large mowers and truck with plow in performing duties.
• Detect faulty operations, defective material, defective equipment and report those and any unusual situations to the proper supervisor.
• Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas such as, vehicles and equipment. For example: sweeping floors, washing trucks, etc.
• Deliver mail, packages and paper to correct locations including Niles campus mail.
• Perform all other duties as assigned or needed.
• Requires a high school diploma/GED or an equivalent number of years of education and production maintenance experience;
• Completion of a craft apprenticeship is a plus;
• Must have a valid state issued driver’s license.
• Highly motivated and able to work independently as needed.
• Must be able to lift and move objects up to 45 pounds consistently with heavier weight necessary at times.
• Must be able and available to work during On-Call periods. For example, when instructed by the Director of Buildings and Grounds and at certain College sponsored events, such as Commencement.
• Must be able to safely use manual and power tools weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Able to safely carry, set-up and climb ladders and sections of scaffolding weighting up to 45 pounds and reaching heights of 40 feet.
• Follow directions given by the Director of Buildings and Grounds or maintenance personnel.
Posting Number 20110571
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email