University Counsel has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the President of the University and includes several legal functions that provide an array of services to the University of Colorado system. The Office of the University Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Regents, the president, system administration and the campuses.
The University of Colorado's Office of University Counsel is searching for someone to join the team as a Litigation Paralegal. This position will support the University's litigation unit in all aspects of litigation, including federal, state and administrative courts. The Litigation Paralegal may also be asked to support attorneys in other units. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collects, organizes, and reviews documents.
- Issues legal hold notices.
- Culls relevant information from large document productions, identifying key documents.
- Drafts summaries and chronologies.
- Contacts University constituents to obtain information.
- Coordinates disclosures and responses to discovery, subpoenas, and public records requests.
- Reviews all documents and makes initial determination regarding information that is privileged or that otherwise requires redaction, and drafts privilege logs.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating a docket of all pleading deadlines and court obligations for Litigation counsel on all cases.
- Assists with preparation of court filings.
- Reviews all applicable rules and practice standards to ensure compliance.
- Ensures all deadlines are calendared and met.
- Proofreads and checks legal citations.
- Drafts court filings under attorney supervision, such as routine motions and proposed orders, disclosures, subpoenas, notices, scheduling orders, protective orders, and pretrial orders.
- Assists with preparation for depositions and trials.
- Prepares for and attends witness interviews and depositions.
- Coordinates work orders with vendors.
- Assists attorneys in all phases of trial preparation (e.g., prepares exhibits, coordinates witnesses, creates demonstrative exhibits, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To be successful in this position a candidate will need the following:
- Knowledge and ability to adhere to the highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to type 50 wpm or faster.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated high level of commitment to customer service.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, constituents, and the public.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software applications.
- This position interacts with a wide range of University constituents. The individual in this position must present themselves professionally at all times in both their appearance and their demeanor.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $60,000-$65,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree or higher education level or equivalent specialized experience.
- Four (4) years prior paralegal experience in civil litigation including experience gathering relevant information for discovery, drafting chronologies, preparing pleadings, correspondence, witness lists and exhibit lists, scheduling witness interviews, depositions, hearings and trials.
- Two (2) years prior experience with Lexis/Nexis or ICCES electronic case filing software.
- Two (2) years prior experience with Pacer/ECF federal electronic case filing software.
- Three (3) years prior experience working with all phases of the EDRM, e-discovery software and electronic discovery production.
- Two (2) years prior experience working with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Prior experience working with Viewpoint or Relativity e-discovery software, or an equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Colorado State Rules of Civil Procedure and Practice Standards.
- Prior experience with Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) or Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Prior e-discovery project management or team leader experience.
- Prior experience with Law ToolBox deadline docketing software or an equivalent.
- Prior experience working with Legal Files case management software or an equivalent.
- Prior experience working in employment law.
- Prior experience in a higher education setting.
- Prior experience with HCM software.
- Paralegal certificate or paralegal studies degree.
- Certified Colorado Notary Public.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by July 31, 2017. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Audit and Legal
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50057 - University Counsel
Posting Date: Jul 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lisa Landis
Posting Contact Email: Lisa.Landis@cu.edu
Position Number: 00001423