ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SPECIALIST
JOB NO.: 91244-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Agricultural, Animal, Biological and Life Sciences, Extension, Outreach, Public Engagement, Laboratory Technician, Research Specialists, Plant Sciences, Research, Scientific
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91244-AS
Working Title: Associate Research Specialist
Official Title: RESEARCH SPECIALIST(T16DN) or ASSOC RESEARCH SPEC(T16FN)
Hiring Department: A074300-COL OF AG & LIFE SCIENCES/HORTICULTURE
Anticipated Begin Date: AUGUST 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $36,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
A Bachelors degree in Horticulture, Agronomy, or a related field is required. Masters degree preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Two years of experience working on field trials preferred. Experience in creating and managing research budgets is desirable.
This is a Research Specialist position with the Potato and Vegetable Sustainable Production Extension Program under the direction of Dr. Yi Wang in the Department of Horticulture at UW-Madison. Program research will focus on conducting field-based research to investigate approaches to improving the sustainability of potato and vegetable production in Wisconsin.
The following knowledge/skills/abilities are required for this position:
- Broad knowledge of vegetable crop growth.
- Great interest in processing and fresh vegetable production in Wisconsin.
- Strong verbal and writing abilities to clearly and professionally communicate with the industry, public, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to create and manage research budgets.
- Willingness to learn technical applications related to water-related field and lab techniques, such as new irrigation technology, software about crop water use prediction and irrigation scheduling, etc.
- Must be able to travel regularly to various work/study locations. A valid driver's license or access to reliable transportation is required. Must be able to obtain and maintain UW Risk Management driving authorization if operating personal or UW Fleet vehicles while on duty.
- Willingness to occasionally travel overnight
- Ability to lift heavy materials up to 50 lb.
Instructions to applicants:
Click 'Apply online' and submit a statement of interest/ cover letter, a current CV, and contact information for 3 references.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 27 Jun 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 26 Jul 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time