San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1700069
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Master's Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
ACADEMIC EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - TEMPORARY
Math and Science
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$66,242 to $85,268 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2015-2016); Maximum Salary Potential $115,273. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Academic/Faculty: Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
This faculty position is a TEMPORARY (Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 Semesters) full-time, 100% FTE position as a Chemistry Instructor in the Division of Math and Science located at San Jose City College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively. 2. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles. 3. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc. 4. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others. 5. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district. 6. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours. 7. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions. 8. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy. 9. Foster a professional work and learning environment. 10. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Position Summary: This faculty position is a TEMPORARY (Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 Semesters) full-time, 100% FTE position as a Chemistry Instructor in the Division of Math and Science located at San Jose City College. Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's in Chemistry
Bachelor's in Chemistry or Biochemistry AND Master's in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Physics, Physics, Molecular Biology, or Geochemistry
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Prior experience teaching a variety of chemistry courses at the community college level including hands-on laboratory work.
2. Demonstrated experience with a variety of teaching pedagogies including group work and using technology in teaching.
3. Demonstrated experience with SLO assessment and program review.
4. Strong background in safe laboratory operations and protocols including working knowledge of handling chemicals.
5. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 18% Hispanic/Latino, 23% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 47% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
More searches like this
- Engineering & Mathematics jobs in Community & Government Relations
- Chemical & Biological Engineering jobs in Community & Government Relations
- Science & Technology jobs in Community & Government Relations
- Chemistry & Biochemistry jobs in Community & Government Relations
- Physical Sciences jobs in Community & Government Relations