Assistant Professor of Composition/Rhetoric
General Description of Position:
Kansas State University’s Polytechnic Campus seeks a full-time Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Composition/Rhetoric with an emphasis in Technical and/or Professional Writing to join the School of Integrated Studies. The successful candidate is expected to be an active contributor to the college’s teaching activities. Areas of teaching emphasis may include, but are not limited to: multiple sections (face-to-face and online) of an upper-level technical writing course, expository writing, and digital literacy.Information about the College/Unit: English faculty at Kansas State University Polytechnic are part of the School of Integrated Studies. The school of Integrated Studies provides learners with opportunities to pursue innovative education, applied research, practical field experiences, and professional lives guided by social awareness and the ability to provide ethically sound solutions in the global environment. Undergraduate degrees offered on the Polytechnic campus include professional pilot, aviation maintenance, unmanned aircraft systems, airport management, engineering technology, technology management, social work, and human development and family science. A professional master of technology degree is offered on a graduate level. http://polytechnic.k-state.edu/ Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Job Description:
This role will be 80% teaching, 10% scholarship, and 10% service.
- Develop and deliver nationally recognized teaching and research programs
- Create an environment that fosters diversity and collegiality
- Work with interdisciplinary faculty to develop students’ technical writing abilities
- Maintain an active program of scholarship in technical and/or professional writing
- Remain current in the field and in pedagogy, commensurate with expectations of the College
- Attract grant funds to support teaching and research programs
- Develop collaborative programs with other faculty and units at Kansas State University, as well as allied industry organizations, government agencies, and other stakeholders
- PhD in Composition/Rhetoric with specialization in Technical and/or Professional Writing field
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and potential for professional growth in the technical and professional writing field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Background check required
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- Experience teaching business, professional, and technical writing
- Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
- Experience in writing program development and evidence of research and publication potential
- Higher education teaching experience
- Online teaching experience
Applicants should upload:
- One-page cover letter
- Curriculum vita
- Names and contact information of three (3) current, professional references (titles, mailing and emailing addresses, and phone numbers)
- (Optional) Additional documents may include student evaluations and/or related syllabi.
Note: Please keep documentation of teaching as concise as possible. Only complete application packets will be accepted.
Questions? Contact: Dr. Pat Ackerman, Search Chair, firstname.lastname@example.orgScreening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until the position is filled.Salary Range / Pay Rate: $58,000-$70,000 Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.