Assistant Swim Coach
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a part-time Assistant Men’s and Women’s Swim Coach and Masters Swim Coach to work in its Athletics Department. This position will be responsible for assisting the head coach in the leadership and direction of all phases of a successful and competitive men’s and women’s swim program. The incumbent will be responsible for directing all phases of a successful masters swim program.
• Assists with the head coach in the organization and preparation of practices and in conducting safe and strategic individual and team training sessions and competitive strategies.
• Supports the head coach in the development and incorporation of a comprehensive recruiting plan that demonstrates successful results for the recruitment, yield, and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes.
• Effectively recruits for the program working within the parameters of Macalester, MIAC, and NCAA rules, and ensuring recruitment strategy results in health roster numbers and a competitive program.
• Responsible for directing, organizing, and leading a successful masters swim program for approximately 30 individuals.
• Oversees membership, registration, and payment of individuals involved in the masters swim program.
• Manages and makes decisions relative to PCard purchases and any budgetary or financial operations within the program.
• Partners with the head coach and game management staff with the preparation and event management needs for at home competitive events.
• Assists with the arrangement and supervision of transportation, lodging, and meals in connection with off-campus competition. Works with the team to ensure representation of the college while off-campus is at the highest level.
• Represents the college and its athletics program with honesty, integrity, and sportsmanship at all times, to various institutional programs and students, parents, the general public, alumni, and external agencies.
• Develops a positive, professional relationship with officials, league personnel, and coaching colleagues
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• 1-3 years of successful collegiate experience required, college coaching experience preferred
• Maintain valid and annual certifications in: NCAA Rules Test, CPR/AED, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, American Red Cross – Lifeguarding, and Van Driver Safety
• Knowledge and appreciation of a liberal arts education and an understanding of the role athletics and recreation play in a college committed to academic excellence and cultural diversity
• Knowledge of practice and training modes, competitive strategies and effective, sustained, and results-oriented recruiting program.
• Knowledge of effective teaching methods
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• General proficiency in current office computer technology, including admissions and recruitment software
• Ability to create a positive, organized, and enriching experience for the student athletes involved in the program
• Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work within the framework of Macalester College policies, MIAC regulations, and NCAA Division III philosophy and rules
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as required
For best consideration please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than July 21, 2017. This job posting will remain open until filled.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.