Required Qualifications: (Evidenced by an attached Resume)
Bachelor's Degree in Human Services or related discipline. Two (2) years of full-time relevant mental health/social work experience. Care management experience with adults with chronic physical or behavioral health conditions. Ability to transport clients to and from appointments. Knowledge of health and other community resources, rights, entitlements and advocacy.
An additional year of full-time relevant mental health/social work experience and care management experience working with adults who have chronic physical or behavioral health conditions. Fluent in Spanish and/or American Sign Language (ASL). Masters degree.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Care Manager provides care management services to adult persons with psychiatric disabilities and other chronic physical and behavioral health conditions who live in Suffolk County. The Care Managers support clients in the development and fulfillment of recovery and other life goals and accessing the necessary resources and supports (i.e. housing, medical and mental; health care, legal rights and entitlements, vocational and educational support, etc.) to live healthy and productive lives in their community. The selected candidate will:
- Provide coordinated care management services to persons with psychiatric disabilities and other chronic behavioral and physical health conditions in accordance with agency/SBU, NYS OMH, NYS DOH, Health Home, Suffolk County DMH and Medicaid guidelines and regulations, policies and procedures.
- Care Management services are provided to clients in the field which requires use of one's own vehicle for travel to/from appointments and for transporting clients as necessary.
- Perform Health Home services and support agency clients in the development and fulfillment of life and recovery goals in an individual and group format.
- Assist clients to improve health outcomes and to increase independent control over their lives and become active and contributing members of their community.
- Complete required client and program record keeping and documentation in accordance with professional standards and the guidelines and regulations stipulated by the NYS DOH Health Home Initiative, the NYS OMH Suffolk County Division of Community Mental Hygiene and the Office of Compliance and Audit for SBU.
- Develop systematic and comprehensive knowledge of client rights and entitlements, community, behavioral and physical health, other resources and referral and grievance procedures.
- Develop practices in accordance with the advocacy/empowerment theoretical model, operating from a client-centered, strengths and recovery-based social work practice orientation.
- Develop necessary education and skills to assume the role of the Care Manager in the Medicaid Health Home Initiative.
- Participate in outreach activities to potential and former clients.
- Provide health education to client community and take leadership in implementing community based programs and initiatives and advocacy-oriented projects, to organize and educate others on health and recovery oriented issues and obstacles faced by client population.
- Attend required and recommended component, staff, in-service and web-based training, meetings and activities.
- Participate in critical reflection of one's practice and provide feedback and support to staff and colleagues.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the agency Director and in specific those necessary for the successful conversion of the agency's case management program to the Medicaid Health Home Initiative.
Special Notes: *This position is located in Bohemia, NY. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
**Must have, keep, and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offerr
****This is a temporary position, which is renewed annually and dependent upon contract approval.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at www.stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollack House in East Hampton, New York, the Mellon Award winning Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Associate Counselor
Job Field: Social Work/Behavioral Health
Primary Location: US-NY-Bohemia
Department/Hiring Area: SUNY Stony Brook, Sayville Project-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30 to 5pm (may require one night/week for client visits dependent on client need)SUNY Stony Brook, Sayville Project-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Jun 26, 2017
Posting End Date: Jul 26, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: $39,403 - $40,403 Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL2